Third-year law and political science student Caleb Broeker said he believes his ‘pink policy’ will return executive power to students’ hands. He is running as an independent candidate for president of CUSA.

Benefitting from an educational background in political science, Broeker said his take on democratic socialism will be the main focus of his campaign.

“The ‘pink policy’ promises that students in some way or form, like [through] the Carleton University website, can vote for where we institute the $2.2 million [CUSA] gets every year on numerous issues,” he said.

Broeker said student opinions and needs are paramount to his campaign, and promises regular polls to evaluate student feedback on current issues, which will then be brought forward in official referendums to engender change.

“Let’s say a lot of students want an A&W on campus or heated bus shelters or a 24-hour library, we take a referendum on this and then try our absolute best to institute it,” he said. “We [will] work effortlessly for what the students desire.”

In high school, Broeker served as part of the student council body for two years, which he said he believes has made him understand the needs of students.

“I know after all these issues that people really want a say in what’s going on and it’s finally time to do it,” Broeker said.

Broeker said he promises complete financial transparency and accountability should he be elected, advertising “every dollar” CUSA will spend on what students voted for.

Broeker added that as an independent candidate he will bring about more efficiency, otherwise uncommon in the case of slates getting elected, and will seek to take the lowest pay possible for his position.

“It shouldn’t be what CUSA wants, or what I want, but what you want,” he said.                    

– Photo by Trevor Swann