The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) is launching its first line of clothing from CUSA Swag—a lifestyle brand for the university’s undergraduate community that was allocated $20,000 in the 2018-19 operating budget passed last month.

According to CUSA president David Oladejo, the association will launch the new clothing line called “Capital U”—first online and later at CUSA’s new convenience store called “The Wing.”

The store will be located on the fourth floor of the University Centre, and is expected to open in October.

“We could [sell] it in the office, but right now, a lot of students are coming in about health plans and asking general information, so we don’t want to get people confused,” Oladejo said.

He added that the clothing line will feature three new products at a “student-friendly price”: a black and white shirt that displays the word “raven” in four different languages available in both short-sleeve and long-sleeve format, and a white shirt with the Carleton tunnels displayed on its back.

Sarita Cuadros, a third-year biology student, said the clothing line is redundant because there are already other places that are marketing Carleton well.

“Students already spend a lot of money on books and tuition and other stuff, so getting more clothing is not in everyone’s budget,” Cuadros said. “Even if it’s better priced than other places, I don’t know if it will fit in with everyone’s personal style or they think it’s something they can wear day-to-day.”

Oladejo said the main purpose of the new line is for “students to identify with something that shows the pride in being a Raven.”

“I know there’s a lot of swag for sale at different locations on campus, but we think it’s important for the students’ association to offer something that students can identify with that’s not a shirt with just a CUSA logo,” Oladejo said.

Talia Ammari, a third-year health sciences student, said she is more inclined to wear the new apparel because she is well-acquainted with CUSA.

“I do have friends that work with CUSA, so I’m more inclined to buy their products just because I know people there,” Ammari said, “I don’t know if other people would feel the same way.”

The clothing line will soon be available online through CUSA and Haven Books’ website.    

File photo