The Carleton University Students Association (CUSA) launched their new space for clubs and societies to work on campus.

The space, which is located in the former clubs and societies office in 426 UC, is open for clubs and societies to book for meetings and events. The room has tables, couches, and a whiteboard wall.

Sofia Dala, vice president (internal), said the space will be useful for clubs who have trouble accessing space on campus, which is almost always booked.

“We all know space is very limited on campus. One of the very first things that club executives ask me is, ‘I need more space, how can I get more space?’ so we said how about we just open more spaces for clubs,” Dala said.

The space was first conceived over the summer, when CUSA went through a series of space shuffles that almost saw OPIRG-Carleton evicted from their third-floor office before signing a new lease. The current space was found through moving several smaller groups into alternate spaces.

Dala said the space should function as an alternative to 513 UC, another meeting space, which is booked weeks in advance.

Taryn Ashdown, one of the clubs and societies commissioners, said they will be watching to see how clubs end up using the space, but there are a variety of options.

“We’re not too sure how they will use it, so we’ll be taking note of the different things that go on, so we can make sure it’s being used to its full potential,” Ashdown said. “I really do envision people having both formal executive meetings and informal meetings, maybe a small event space, clubs could be using this room for something like that.”