The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) and Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) have come together to encourage awareness for substance abuse on campus from Nov. 2-6.

Maddie Adams, CUSA’s vice-president (student issues), said the most important component of the week is accepting students use substances in the first place.

“It is key that they have the correct knowledge on how to do it safely,” she said.

“Ensuring they are checking in on their friends when drinking, or insisting someone doesn’t drive home after they have had a few, are all valuable reminders for anyone,” Adams said in an email.

CUSA will partner with many different organizations throughout the week, including Ottawa Public Health and Carleton’s Health and Counselling Services to get the word out, Adams said.

Suzi Sauve was at Oliver’s Pub on Wednesday representing the “I Promise Mom” campaign, an extension of MADD that encourages students to make a pledge never to drink and drive.

Sauve’s son, Carleton grad Corey Sauve, started the “I Promise Mom” campaign. He graduated in 2013, but Sauve continues to return year after year, spreading awareness and encouraging responsibility.

She said she finds students are much more receptive to the message once they realize she’s not asking them to completely stop drinking, but just to be prepared.

“Be safe, be smart, plan ahead,” she said.

“To me, awareness is where it’s at. Statistically . . . things aren’t better. There’s still a lot of impaired driving, whether it be alcohol or drugs,” Sauve said. “Crashes are happening. They’re not accidents, they’re crashes.”