The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) held their first council meeting of the 2017-18 school year on Sept. 27.

The meeting began with executive members updating council on what initiatives they’re working on and what’s planned for the coming months.

Currently in the works is a continued effort to defederate from the Canadian Federation of Students (CFS). According to CUSA president Zameer Masjedee, CUSA plans to begin tabling for signatures in October, although the petition is already accessible at the CUSA office.

They also plan to host a town hall next month and have an open discussion with students about the process.

“Imagine it kind of like a debate, but more so an opportunity to come and ask us anything CUSA related,” Masjedee said to the council.

He said he hopes to host town hall meetings every month, with October’s focusing on the CFS.

Last week, CUSA fulfilled one of their campaign promises when they introduced free printing, but they’re still working on meeting more of their platform. One initiative in the works is to add more microwaves to the campus.

“Longest project ever,” Masjedee commented. He said he hopes they’ll be available by late October to early November.

Matt Pelletier, an undergraduate representative on the Presidential Search Committee, also spoke to the council, and said the committee is currently looking for consultation on what qualities Carleton students want to see in potential candidates.

“It’s a long process,” he said of choosing a new president for the university. “We’re looking for input from students and members of the community.”

He also said a series of town halls would take place on Oct. 12 and 13 for undergraduate students.

In an update from vice-president (student life) Abdullah Jaber, he said that he hopes to implement cultural nights at Oliver’s Pub & Patio in the month of November, with some ideas being African night and a Middle-Eastern night, as well as introducing themed Thirsty Thursday nights.

A report from the Rideau River Residence Association said the MacDaddy’s had been removed from Oasis and replaced with La Cocina, a Mexican food chain.

Photo by Meagan Casalino