After a little more than two years, the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) is bringing back the Charity Ball from its brief hiatus, aiming to host the event some time in November.

Like the event’s name suggests, the Charity Ball is a formal party where all the proceeds raised go to a variety of local charities.

The last time the Charity Ball was showcased, it was presented in the form of a fashion show. Traditionally, the event consists of 200-500 people, depending on its popularity that year, according to Rawan Abujoub, CUSA vice-president (student life).

In past years, the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Foundation, the Ottawa Food Bank, the Ottawa Rape Crisis Centre, Youth Ottawa, the Royal Ottawa Foundation for Mental Health, and the Ottawa Valley Wild Bird Centre have all been recipients from the gala, according to Abujoub.

In the last two years, a total of $26,000 was raised to the Charity Ball fund, said Abujoub.

Abujoub, along with two co-directors in charge of sponsorship and program elements, will organize the event. The co-directors are hired by CUSA on an honorarium.

As of now, the Charity Ball is still in the early planning stages, and a budget and goal amount have yet to be released. With this year’s charities and themes yet to be announced, students can help and send their suggestions, Abujoub said.

The reason for the event’s reboot is due to the amount of charity work Carleton students are already active and participate in on and off campus.

“The Charity Ball will be a great way for students to have fun but give back to the community they’re a part of,” Abujoub said.

Alexander Golovko, the former president, of CUSA praised the revival of the former philanthropy event.

“I am fully confident that the executive team at CUSA will put together an event that is both engaging to our students and ultimately one that will bring us together for a common cause of giving back to our community,” he said.

News of the Charity Ball has already been spreading to students, from social media all the way to word of mouth.

“I’ve heard about the Charity Ball from a friend, and it really sparked my interest, especially with the philanthropy of the ALS challenge going around,” said Kyla Borden, a second-year public affairs and policy management student at Carleton.