The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) will be supporting Habitat for Humanity and Ultimate March Break Camp with the proceeds of the 2015 Charity Ball, according to Rawan Abujoub, CUSA vice-president (student life).

After a brief hiatus, the annual Charity Ball event has been brought back and is being held Jan. 17 at the Canadian Museum of History in Gatineau, allowing many under 19 first-year students to participate.

CUSA worked with event co-ordinators and student volunteers to decide which charities to donate the proceeds to, according to Abujoub.

She said Charity Ball was brought back because of Carleton University students’ commitment to philanthropy and community.

“We wanted to organize a fun way for students to give back. Students are always looking for ways to get involved and for events to attend, and we figured that now is as good of a time as any,” Abujoub said.

The theme for the event this year will be a masquerade ball, according to Maria Vargas, the Charity Ball programming director.

“We chose the theme after watching TV shows and movies. We thought that it would be very fun and mysterious to be wearing masks until the clock strikes midnight and everyone takes their masks off,” Vargas said.

“We definitely wanted to get the students involved in choosing the theme and charities. Social media sites like Twitter and Facebook are great ways for us to take students’ opinions into account,” said Vargas.

Two-hundred and fifty tickets are being sold for the event. Students who attended the Charity Ball the last year it was run are excited to be able to go again before they leave Carleton, Abujoub said.

“It’s amazing that our students are able to excel in academics, social settings, and many other areas, all while having a drive for bettering the Carleton and Ottawa community,” Abujoub said.