Photo by Shvaugn Craig

The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) has announced the formal renaming of the Aboriginal Service Centre to the Mawandoseg Centre, a move meant to honour Algonquin territory and self-representation within the Indigenous community.

Mawandoseg is the word for “coming together” in Anishinaabemowin, the language of the Algonquin people, whose unceded territory encompasses Ottawa to Cornwall, Kingston, and North Bay.

The renaming was initiated by Ashley Courchene, CUSA vice-president (student services) and former Aboriginal Service Centre co-ordinator. Courchene said he was always bothered by the term ‘aboriginal,’ as the Indigenous community were not the ones to choose it, and the term affiliates many Indigenous nations into a single group.

“The name change reflects the aim to bring people together so we can all learn something from one another and bring about an environment of mutual respect,” Courchene said.

While the service centre’s name adaptation was student-driven, Carleton administration has also taken steps towards First Nations identification. The School of Indigenous and Canadian Studies—formerly the School of Canadian Studies—was renamed by the Board of Governors in late June, following a push by faculty to recognize the shared history of Indigenous groups and Canadian settlers.

The Mawandoseg Centre intends to utilize the school year to educate the student body on this shared history, cultural celebrations, and contemporary issues, according to Tess Laude, co-ordinator of the centre.

Laude said she has planned a number of events designed to appeal to both Indigenous and non-Indigenous people. She added she has previously volunteered with the First Peoples Council, an organization that promotes Indigenous culture on campus.

Laude said she believes the name change was important, as it acknowledges their community’s existence and system of beliefs, and reflects the purpose of the centre by decolonizing the formal title.

While the name change honours the peoples whose land the university resides on, Laude said it’s not meant to exclude non-native students.

“My hope is that the renaming of the centre will spark curiosity and invite non-native students to learn about our way of being,” Laude said.

Some of the events planned for the year include a return of the Revitalizing Indigenous Strength and Education (RISE) campaign from last year, educational discussion groups, beading circles, and other celebrations of Indigenous culture.

The first event will be a Full Moon ceremony for women-identifying and two-spirit people on Sept. 16 in the tipi behind Robertson Hall.

Courchene said he hopes these changes are the first of many for Carleton and the rest of Canada. Citing the conflicts in North Dakota and other Canadian protests, he said he sees the centre as a necessary supportive environment.

“There is much richness and beauty to our culture that keeps us strong despite the problems that exist,” he said.