The Canadian Union for Public Employees (CUPE) Local 2424 began striking as of early morning on March 5, in a fight to protect members’ pension rights.

The union, which represents approximately 850 administrative, technical and clerical staff at Carleton, assembled picket lines starting at 6 a.m. at the campus entrance located at Bronson Avenue and Colonel By Drive, blocking traffic from entering the university.

The strike comes after 19 days of negotiation since July, with mediated talks grinding to a halt on March 4, vice-president (students and enrolment) Suzanne Blanchard said in an email sent to students early this morning.

In a union press release published on March 5, staff “expressed disappointment and frustration at the university’s continued attempts to strip pension language from its employees’ collective agreement.”

CUPE 2424 president Jerrett Clark declined to comment on the picket line Monday morning about the strike or how long it might last. However, in a March 5 press release, he shared his thoughts on the strike.

“Throughout bargaining, Carleton has placed obstacles in the path to a fair deal by insisting that a new collective agreement remove our bargaining rights around pensions,” he stated.

Renee Lortie, a picket captain, said students have been supportive of the strike and added that some students even joined the strikers. Other union members on the picket line said their spirits are still high, though they said they don’t think the strike will come to an end anytime soon.

Charlotte Hitsman, a second-year psychology student who walked to campus this morning, said the strike has not affected her yet, since she does not drive or take the bus to school.

In solidarity with the union, OC Transpo buses will not be crossing picket lines, with the exception of Para Transpo. Signs were posted at the bus stops on campus directing students to instead use bus stops on Bronson Avenue.

According to Blanchard, the Registrar’s Office and other administrative services will continue to operate, with limited services available. The dining hall and Athletics will remain open and operational.

Library hours have been affected and will operate under the following shortened hours during the strike:
Monday to Thursday: 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday 1 p.m. – 6 p.m.

While some professors in the Faculty of Science have cancelled labs for the duration of the strike, classes will continue as scheduled. According to the university, changes to classes will be decided by individual departments and professors.

Students are also being asked to check the university’s website for updates on changes to the operating hours of various student services on campus.

Follow @CharlatanLive on Twitter and Facebook for the latest updates as the strike continues. 

Photo by Meagan Casalino