Photo by: Shamit Tushakiran

When Jeremy Harley made a mistake on air during his early days at CKCU, Carleton’s community radio station, the Carleton graduate said he joked he shouldn’t worry about offending the three people listening.

Four years after founding Hammer Smashed Radio, the station’s heavy metal show, Harley has a lot more than three people to keep in mind. Hammer Smashed Radio celebrated its fourth anniversary Feb. 25 at Mavericks.

Harley, who studied communications, said it was only natural to get involved when he came to Carleton. A passion for music and the local heavy metal scene drove him to jumpstart a show that would allow him to share his two passions with listeners.

“The approach that I like using is that you’re hanging out with your friends,” Harley said, describing the show’s format. “You know, sharing music in the basement, chilling around a table and everyone is just like, ‘Check out this CD that I brought.’”

One of the biggest highlights for Harley is being able to promote a band and see them grow, he said.

For some groups like Immersed, who headlined Hammer Smashed’s fourth anniversary bash, Harley’s show was a springboard for their careers.

“I had [Immersed] on Hammer Smashed Radio for one of their first interviews, I think. And today, a few years later, they’re a signed band and they’re doing great for themselves,” he said. “Reflecting on that is really cool.”

Harley said it’s hard to describe what draws people to heavy metal. “It’s something very exciting, very passionate, very aggressive. If you like it, you’re really into it,” Harley said.

Whatever it is, he said there’s a healthy and inclusive community, contrary to what some people might think. Even if you don’t wear all black or have long hair, Harley said the communal passion for the music makes people get along.

Now, with its own category in the Juno Awards — an addition Harley said he’s very excited about — the former Carleton student said he thinks great things are on the way for the genre in Canada.
“I think that if you [go out to a show] and see the fun that it is, a lot of people’s minds will be changed.”