CUASA signed a collective agreement with the university to give faculty a raise for two years. (Photo by Pedro Vasconcellos)

The Carleton University Academic Staff Association (CUASA) and university administration signed a new collective agreement Sept. 18 that will raise faculty wages 1.2 per cent each year for the next two years as a provincial public-sector wage freeze looms, according to CUASA president Jason Etele.

“There was more pressure [to ratify an agreement quickly] by virtue of the implied government threat of legislation [that would freeze wages],” he said.

Carleton’s assistant vice-president of human resources Lise Labine declined to comment when asked if the agreement was related to the proposed legislation. She believes the result was due to “continued bargaining in good faith by both sides.”

“I am content that [the issue] is settled” she said, adding that the parties were able to avoid any inconveniences for students, faculty, or administration.

Negotiations began in February of this year, said Labine.

Etele said the agreement was accepted by CUASA faster than usual after the Ontario Liberal government proposed legislation limiting the bargaining power of unions.

“The union suspended normal rules so that the agreement could be ratified ahead of normal timelines,” he said.

The new collective agreement was ratified in about 24 hours, Etele said, instead of after the typical seven-day time period. It was supported by 87 per cent of CUASA members who voted, he said.

Etele also said he felt the administration may have exploited the current political situation to avoid more intense negotiations.

“I don’t think…that this process was ideal. I think the administration took advantage of the fact that there was this impending legislation…to my knowledge, Carleton administration handed out the lowest [faculty wage hikes of all Canadian universities],” he said.

The chief negotiator for CUASA, Sonya Lipsett-Rivera, could not be reached for comment.

Labine denied these allegations.

“I don’t think the university took advantage at all. Both parties agreed that we should complete what we set out to do since February,” she said.

She added that usually, administration responds to wage issues towards the end of bargaining and the 1.2 per cent had been on the table since May.