Another year of classes is officially over. Exams are almost upon us and the end is in sight.

As you inevitably enter hermit mode while cramming for your exams, the Charlatan’s staff and contributors have some stellar media recommendations to help you get through this stressful time. After a brief hiatus, this budding Charlatan tradition is back, baby!

Isabel Harder: Editor-in-chief, Volume 52, op/ed editor, Volume 51, arts editor, Volume 50

If you had asked me a year ago which musician I’d think would soundtrack the last year of my undergrad, I would not have said Carly Rae Jepsen. Yet, here we are.

After my sister told me her favourite song was “Cut To The Feeling” about a year ago, my summer drives were suddenly characterized by blasting Dedicated and E-mo-tion at full volume in my hometown. It makes sense that the most surprising, joy-filled and tumultuous year of my university career thus far would be set to music by pop’s “ambassador of love.”

Carly Rae Jepsen’s latest album, The Loneliest Time, doesn’t feel so lonely when I listen and am reminded of the solidarity I feel in her music. At once heartbroken, confident and introspective, the album reminds me of the love I’ve felt this year and the joy awaiting me and the people I hold close.

Kyra Vellinga: Arts editor, Volume 53

Maya Hawke’s 2022 album, MOSS, has had me considering the possible merit of nepotism this year. 

Gifting us floating vocals, decisively meditative lyrics and soothing musical accompaniments that you can study or softly scream along to alone in your room, the daughter of American actor Ethan Hawke, delivers songs crafted explicitly for those of us who crave intimacy in our everyday existence. 

MOSS has been my go-to listen this year while getting ready, walking to campus or winding down in my kitchen late at night. 

Disclaimer: I’m still in the anti-nepotism camp, but gosh, this is a good album.

Elissa Mendes: News editor, Volume 53

The best series I binged this year was Black Mirror. I know it’s been out for a while, but it never feels outdated. It’s so good if you’re like me and love twist endings. Some episodes, like “Hang the DJ,” aren’t super creepy if psychological thrillers aren’t your jam.

Natasha Baldin: Arts editor, Volume 52

What’s my ultimate form of self-care, you ask? Throw on a toque, stick some AirPods in and go for a walk with a podcast at max volume. It’s the ultimate main character moment.

My favourite podcast keeping me company this semester was The Edge, which chronicles the Houston Astros as they won their controversial, trash-banging World Series championship in 2017. Ben Reiter, the podcast’s producer, predicted the victory in a Sports Illustrated headline three years before it even happened. 

A weird pick for the arts editor, right? I’ll let you in on a secret—I’m secretly a huge sports fan—but playing along with the arts editor stereotype is just too much fun sometimes. So, trust me on this one. You’ll soon get sucked into the best of Reiter’s conversations and analyses as he explores this controversy from all angles.

Matteo Golin: Web/multimedia editor, Volume 52

Everything Everywhere All at Once quickly became my favourite movie of all time after I had the pleasure of watching it in theatres. 

This movie, which recently won seven Oscars at the Academy Awards, explores powerful themes of family, life, meaning and generational trauma. It uses incredible videography, choreography, and colourful, action-packed visuals.

Despite being incredibly disorienting, constantly hopping from scene to scene and reality to reality, the underlying themes of nihilism, existentialism and absurdism remain crystal clear and leave a lasting emotional impact. 

I have never cried harder while watching a movie. I recommend Everything Everywhere All at Once to anyone, because no two people will interpret it in the same way.

Jamie Lee Curtis, Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan in Everything Everywhere All at Once, a movie the premiered in 2022. [Photo by Allyson Riggs/IMDb]

Mark Ramzy: News editor, Volume 52

If an Egyptian Cannot Speak English by Noor Naga is a poetic, complicated tale of an abusive romantic relationship between an American-Egyptian girl looking to rediscover herself in her home country, and a poor, mysterious Egyptian man trying to relive the glory days of the 2011 Egyptian Revolution.

Naga beautifully weaves the threads of diasporic struggles in post-revolutionary Egypt while pointing to the hypocrisy of Eurocentric perceptions on the 21st century global south. It is a must-read for anyone who calls more than one place home, or simply anyone with a love for experimental fiction.

Daria Maystruk: Managing editor, Volume 52

If you want to re-think the way you live your life and maybe cry a couple of tears, the movie About Time is for you. Tim, played by Domhnall Gleeson, discovers that the men in his family, including himself, can travel back in time. He uses this power to re-experience things from his past and change the outcomes of several situations, including his relationship with Mary, played by Rachel McAdams. 

Like any other movie about time travel, Tim faces a moral dilemma at the end that will leave you a little empty. But what’s life without a couple existential thoughts, am I right?

Domhnall Gleeson and Rachel McAdams in About Time, which premiered in 2013. [Photo by Murray Close/IMDb]

Cassandra Bellefeuille: Contributor, Volume 52

Anything Goes by Emma Chamberlain is a podcast I’ve been listening to literally every single day.

I’ve been a huge fan of Emma Chamberlain since she started making YouTube videos, so when she switched to podcasting as a primary medium I was excited to start listening to her on a new platform. Anything Goes explores anything and everything from Emma’s hot takes, to philosophy, advice, random stories and more. 

I definitely recommend listening to the podcast while getting ready in the morning, riding the bus or taking a walk. New episodes come out every Tuesday and Sunday.

Makayla Morgan: Copy editor, Volume 52, social media manager, Volume 51

If you’ve been on any social media recently, you would know that one of the hottest TV shows of 2023 is HBO Max’s The Last of Us, starring Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey.

With all season one episodes out on Crave, The Last of Us has given me my weekly fix of absolutely stunning but utterly devastating media to consume on my couch with whichever roommate I can rope into watching it with me.

Despite being adapted from the post-apocalyptic action-adventure video game of the same name (a fantastic game which I, myself, have played through), The Last of Us isn’t your typical horror show filled with jumpscares and gore. Its strength as a TV show comes from its character-driven plot and beautiful on-screen relationships.

As a big fan of the video game and its sequel The Last of Us Part 2, this show gives me a fun weekend activity and break from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. #PedroPascalIsDaddy

Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey in The Last Of Us, which aired on HBO Max on March 12, 2023. [Photo by Liane Hentscher/IMDb]

Adamo Marinelli: Contributor, Volume 52, 51, 50

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown is a thrilling, suspenseful and action-packed novel that is impossible to put down. 

The book follows an esteemed Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon as he travels across Rome looking for hidden, ancient symbols that can help him prove to the Vatican that a secret, centuries-old brotherhood, known as the Illuminati, has re-emerged from hiding with a plan that will cause mass destruction.

I love a good mystery, action and thriller novel, so when I started reading, it was impossible to stop.

Mark Colley: Podcast host, Volume 52, sports editor, Volume 51, news editor, Volume 50

I highly recommend the movie The Fabelmans. You probably know director Steven Spielberg from Jaws, E.T., Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones, but at 76 years old, he’s still making movies and kicking ass. The Fabelmans is one of my favourite films from the past year. It’s pure movie magic and a joy to watch, with real heart to go along with it. If that’s not your cup of tea, go watch The Banshees of Inisherin. It’ll tear you apart, but it’s a masterpiece.

Paul Dano, Michelle Williams and Mateo Zoryan in The Fabelmans, a movie the premiered in 2022. [Photo retrieved from IMDb]

Pippa Norman: Features editor, Volume 52, arts editor, Volume 51

My favourite book this year was Pests: How Humans Create Animal Villains by Bethany Brookshire. Admittedly, I had to read it for class… BUT it captured this scientific topic with ease, grace and humour. If you’re unsure at all, I highly recommend the first chapter about Fucking Kevin.

My favourite album? The Car by Arctic Monkeys had me absolutely in my feels. “There’d Better Be A Mirrorball” came out right when I was going to a disco party for Halloween and it now has that transporting, time travelling effect that only few songs can have. It’s good for rocking out in the kitchen but also cozying up on the couch with hot chocolate.

Emma Chang: Contributor, Volume 52

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, a musical romantic-comedy television series, follows Rebecca Bunch, a successful lawyer in New York City who runs into her ex-boyfriend on the street. She follows him across the country to California in search of true love and happiness.

There are so many things to love about this show. It features diverse characters and 2SLGBTQ+ relationships without tokenizing either. It satirizes common rom-com tropes and pokes fun at problematic notions of love. It addresses mental health and female sexuality with refreshing authenticity. And its songs are so freaking catchy!

CxG is a theatre kid’s fever dream, and I mean that in the best way possible—every episode feels like a bite-sized Broadway production. It was such a joy to watch this kooky cast of characters grow and evolve over the span of four seasons.

This show is for people who value the three C’s: comedy, choreography and character development. Sadly, CxG isn’t available on Canadian Netflix, but if you have access to a VPN, you can watch it on Netflix U.S. or Japan.

Isaac Phan Nay: Podcast host, Volume 52, news editor, Volume 51

Peter Cat Recording Co. Portrait of a Time: 2010-2016,  splices ensemble-band punk with electronic house production—just the right amount. I’m so late to this one. Think Cage the Elephant meets Diplo when he still liked dinosaurs. If that blew your mind, you have to give this album a try.

I had to pull my bike over in Gatineau the first time I heard the EP Texas Moon by Khruangbin and Leon Bridges. Bridges’ voice will make you freeze in your tracks—it simmers Khruangbin’s psychedelic funk to build a truly unique sound. It’s a great pick for slow nights—which are so rare I won’t ever get sick of this EP.

Jenna Legge: Social media manager, Volume 52

You know those days when everything seems a bit duller? Sometimes the world just doesn’t seem so awesome, especially if you’re a student in the middle of exams! Well, The Book of Awesome, by Neil Pasricha is a little ray of sunshine sure to bring a smile to your face.

I first received this book as a gift from my artistic swimming coach, who saw I was struggling to stay positive during a particularly stressful competition season.

This book reminds the reader of all the “awesome” things in life, from the sound of rain to warm laundry. It is a must-read for anyone who needs a pick-me-up.

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.