Pearl Jam
Scotiabank Place
Sept. 14  

Pearl Jam rocked out with 13,000 of their fans for a tour marking the band’s 20th anniversary Sept. 14 at Scotiabank Place.

The 90s band, who defined the era of grunge, brought their original angst and a new mature soulfulness to each one of their performances. The band set the mood for the evening to be one to remember with a hauntingly incredible opening to "Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town."

Frontman Eddie Vedder immediately invited fans on an adventure: "I understand it’s Wednesday night, but by the end of the night, it should feel like Friday around here. Come witness as we go across the universe."

After two overpriced, stadium-sized beers, I decided I was just brave enough to leave my 300-level seat section and venture down closer to Vedder. There were a few close calls with ticket checkers but I successfully made it down to the floor.

Soon after playing "Setting Forth," a folky song from Vedder’s solo work for the 2007 film, Into the Wild, the band played alternative rock anthem "Even Flow" to the roaring crowd. With only Pearl Jam in common, fans came together to high five each other, share lyrics and others rolled unmentionables.

As much as the night was an anniversary for the band, it was also a celebration for fans. Earlier in the year, SIRIUS satellite radio introduced a new station, Pearl Jam Radio, in lieu of the band’s 20th anniversary. SIRIUS channel 22 offers fans a non-stop, commercial-free interactive Pearl Jam experience.

The band is also breaking into film with the premiere of their documentary, Pearl Jam Twenty, at the Toronto Film Festival.

Directed by Cameron Crowe, the film follows the band’s growth over the last two decades. The film is to be released in select theaters Sept. 20.

Standing on the floor of Scotiabank Place, I felt not only literally, but figuratively as well at the same level as the band. With every song dedication the band made to loved ones, deceased ones and ones they no longer cared about, I found similar dedications and meanings the songs held with me.

Like Pearl Jam, this year I’m turning 20. Although I wasn’t head banging to Pearl Jam back in the early 90s, I have grown to become a dedicated fan over the last two decades. The band delivered 20 years of profound alternative rock music in two hours.

With two encores and countless sing-a-longs, Pearl Jam offered fans their sweat, love, and thankfulness as they continued playing after the Scotiabank Place had turned the stadium’s lights on.