With food to eat, devices to play with, and a bed calling your name, home or even a dorm room is not always ideal for studying.

As the new school year approaches, it could be beneficial to read up on some places to buckle down and hit the books. Here’s a list of some of campus’s best study spots.

Located behind the Tory Building, at the back of the quad, stands the most obvious study destination: the library.

MacOdrum Library is brimming with amenities, featuring comfortable seating, chatter-free floors three and five, public computers, and hundreds of relevant books.

Looking for ways to get involved, or for information on international experiences? Carleton’s Discovery Centre is right at your fingertips. The centre, found on the library’s fourth floor, acts as an interactive learning tool for undergraduate students. Feeling tired as most university students do about 95 per cent of the time? Since January 2014, the library has been equipped with a Starbucks that seats over 100 people. Hooray for built-in library caffeine stations!

Yet, Starbucks can get expensive over time. For an affordable bite to eat or a delicious coffee, I would suggest Rooster’s. Situated on the fourth floor of the University Centre, the café is student-run and proceeds go toward student activities.

Rooster’s has reasonable prices, comfortable couches and armchairs, and music to set the mood. It is a great spot to plug in and focus. If silence is what you need, and the library does not cut it, the Azrieli Pavilion is another hidden gem. The building can be found beside the Tory Building, facing the quad. Azrieli has three floors with several tables. Each table has its own electrical outlet to charge your devices. In fact, most people do not even know about this study spot, so it is usually quite silent.

However, if the indoors make you feel crowded, or if your paper could use some inspiration, the quad makes for an excellent study area. Sitting just feet from the library, the quad is a beautiful green space. Its proximity to the library makes researching much easier. The picnic tables and seats allow you to sit comfortably while the trees offer shade.

Not crazy about studying outdoors? Still need inspiration? That’s not a problem. The River Building, just south of the University Centre, is quite the alternative to the quad.

Bordering the Rideau River, the River Building’s tall, glass windows allow students to watch the rapids while working on the second floor’s study landing. It even has a large balcony students can access.

Regardless of each person’s preferences, there is a place for everyone to study at Carleton. Studying on campus also exposes students to Carleton’s different clubs and services. The best advice that any student could give another would be to stay curious. Get exploring. Carleton’s campus is full of possibilities.

For an interactive map of campus, click below.