Community members wave flags in solidarity outside of Parliament Hill following Canada's largest arms show on May 29, 2024. [Photo by Cassandra Bellefeuille/The Charlatan]

Canada’s leading annual global defence and security trade show, CANSEC, inspired thousands to gather in anti-war protests outside the EY Centre, Parliament Hill and the Elgin Street Ottawa Police Station on May 29.

Though CANSEC has seen protests over time, this year’s demonstration came amid the ongoing conflict in Palestine. Several of the companies exhibiting at CANSEC, including Lockheed Martin and Boeing, are allegedly arming the Israeli army, according to World Beyond War.

Starting at 7 a.m., protesters gathered around the EY Centre, where CANSEC was scheduled to take place.

Protesters then moved to Parliament Hill, demanding accountability from the government and a people’s inquiry into the arms trade.

After stationing in front of Parliament Hill and then marching around the block to the Israeli Embassy, protesters blocked the intersection between Wellington and O’Connor Street for several hours.

Protesters held up wooden barricades and banners reading various anti-war expressions, eventually turning the demonstration into a sit-in.

Various organizations and community members, including student group representatives, spoke about the arms trade and international solidarity.

One speaker, Alex Stratas, encouraged the community to visit and support the encampment at the University of Ottawa.

Stratas is a member of INSAF uOttawa, a student-led advocacy club which aims to combat injustices against Palestinians inflicted by the Israeli occupation.

“We want to act on a united front,” she said.

“Having your body there, doing that is a huge message to the university. Presence is very important.”

Protests at police headquarters on Elgin Street occurred during and after the protest at Parliament Hill, inspired by the arrest of eight individuals at the EY Centre earlier that morning.

Community members chanted at police officers stationed outside of the building, demanding they release the arrested.

“Five individuals were processed and released; three were remanded into custody” according to an OPS news release. 

Several students and student groups attended these protests, said Ayham Hakimi, one of the lead organizers at the uOttawa encampment.

“At the end of the day, all of our demands and all of the causes are related,” he said.

“We’re calling on as many institutions that are complicit as possible,” Hakimi added. “Students need to keep this pressure wherever we are.”

“We can’t let trade shows go on. We can’t let them go on business as usual.”

Featured image by Cassandra Bellefeuille.