The Record Centre in Hintonburg has expanded into what used to be an expensive hair salon. To celebrate the reopening Sept. 5,  people piled into the shop to see a free show featuring two Ottawa bands The Split and The Hilotrons.

The Split played first, and were reminiscent of a classic soul band featuring live trumpet and saxophone. They played a fun and energetic set for nearly an hour frequently reminding the audience that they were indeed The Split.

A lot of people were there before their set, and many more showed up during or after. The long room bisected by an aisle of records was not the ideal setup for a musical performance, but there was still good attendance.

Enough people came out that many were more comfortable watching the band from behind, through the front window of the store. A few times the frontman stepped out for some fresh air between songs, taking the microphone with him and singing the whole time.

After The Split finished playing there was a short break while The Hilotrons set up. Even more people showed up during this time, and by the time they played there were more people in attendance than could fit in the store. However, this was not a huge problem once the door was propped open.

The Hilotrons were a bit of a change of pace from the old-timey aesthetic of The Split. Their music was a sort of alternative-rock, and was heavy on the synthesizers and special effects.

The frontman played scales and arpeggios across his monophonic keyboard faster than the eye could follow. The music gradually descended into improvised madness only to climb back up to catchy rhythms and danceable beats. When a man from the audience tried to film his hands in action, the front man reminded him this was “incredibly cheesy.”

After Hilotrons finished, the owner of the Record Centre thanked everyone for their attendance and support. The crowd slowly diminished as some stuck around to buy merch, and the whole event was over around 9 p.m.

Local businesses tend to come and go, and they don’t all thrive, and they don’t all stay local. It is a positive thing to see The Record Centre doing well for itself as an independent business and a part of the local culture.

Local records were sold by local musicians, contributing to a healthier and more inclusive music community and stronger local culture. Events like this show the opportunities available to local acts and encourage budding local musicians to start bands.

The musical selection of our city continuing to become bigger and better starts with events and businesses like The Record Centre. A nod to The Record Centre, The Hilotrons, and the split for all helping to perpetuate something cool.