Vince Carter has played a pivotal role in the history of Canadian basketball [Image by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

Nov. 3 marked the 25-year anniversary of both the Toronto Raptors and Vancouver Grizzlies’ first games in the NBA, forever changing the basketball landscape in Canada. 

It has always been a challenge for Canadians to make their mark on professional basketball due to the dominance of the American teams and players. 

However, slowly but surely Canada has been making waves in the NBA, thanks in large part to the Toronto Raptors and the former Vancouver (now Memphis) Grizzlies.

The teams have also been a symbol of inspiration to many young basketball players who aspired to make their names known in the NBA. It showed them that they could compete with the American players.

Players like NBA Hall of Famer Steve Nash, who is Canadian, challenged the idea of Canadians not being able to make it in professional basketball. He fought many obstacles and inspired an entire generation.

Not only have the Raptors and Grizzlies become a symbol of inspiration, they have also become a beacon of pride for Canadians across the world. Being the only Canadian teams, both represented a nation of over 37 million people.

Both the Toronto Raptors and Vancouver Grizzlies were introduced in 1995 as part of the NBA’s plan to expand into Canada. However, it wasn’t all sunshine and roses for the teams.

Unfortunately for Vancouver, they only lasted five seasons in the NBA before being forced to relocate to Memphis, Tennessee for a variety of reasons. The two main factors were low attendance and the fact that they had no superstar players.

In the first couple seasons, Vancouver struggled to gain any attraction for their fans and performed poorly. The Memphis Grizzlies still pay tribute to their roots with their throwback Vancouver Grizzlies jerseys. Grizzlies rising young star, Ja Morant’s Vancouver throwback jersey is among the league’s top 15 in sales. 

For Toronto, things have gone differently, mostly thanks to when they drafted Vince Carter and the era known as “Vinsanity” began.

In only their first season, the Raptors ranked third in NBA attendance and eventually led the NBA three seasons in a row in the early 2000’s. It was clear that unlike their Ontario counterparts, Vancouver was being left behind by fans.

Eventually after ending the 2000 season with a 22-60 record, the owner made the decision to relocate to Memphis. This forced the Raptors to take the burden of representing an entire nation on their own.

Toronto endured seasons filled with many ups and downs throughout the years. Unfortunately, they were never able to win a championship or make the NBA finals with legends like Vince Carter, Trace McGrady and Chris Bosh.

Despite being a mediocre team and even at times being one of the worst teams in the NBA, the fans stuck with them and became one of the most passionate fan bases in the entire league.

The 2010’s was when fans first started feeling optimistic about the team’s future. They frequently made the playoffs and the hopes for a championship were there.

Despite all the positives, they still had to face major adversity against their opponents, notably LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers. No matter how many wins they had or what their record was in the regular season, they could never defeat James in the playoffs.

In the span of three years, the Raptors always lost in the playoffs, despite seeming like the better team during the regular season. In fact, the Raptors—who had the best record in the east and second best in the NBA in the 2017-18 season—got swept by the Cavs that year.

They finally got their time to shine when James signed with the Los Angeles Lakers in 2019, leaving the Eastern Conference. Toronto finally got the chance they’ve waited 25 years for.

During his first season in L.A., James was injured and his team missed the playoffs. The Raptors were able to make it to the 2019 NBA finals, beating the Milwaukee Bucks, Orlando Magic, and Philadelphia 76ers, which set them up to take on the reigning champion, the Golden State Warriors.

In six games, they were able to overcome their opponent and win their first ever NBA championship. Canadian NBA fans finally had something to celebrate!

The history of the Raptors and Grizzlies is not perfect. However, these two teams have played a massive role in the growth of basketball in Canada. These teams have not only influenced sports, but also popular culture in Canada and North America. 

Many celebrities, such as rappers Drake and Roddy Ricch, have been associated with the teams in the past and have been seen donning the team’s merchandise. 

Basketball in Canada is on the rise, and the country has become a legitimate contender on the world stage that has been dominated by the United States for so long. The past 25 years have done wonders for the sport and culture in Canada. With the Raptors 2019 championship, there’s no limit as to how high the ceiling is for the team and the country in the next 25 years. 

———

Featured image by Sara Mizannojehdehi