On Sept. 25, The John Punch Band and Jack Pine of Jack Pine and the Fire took the altar at St. Alban’s Church. The event was in celebration of The John Punch Band’s first full-length album Rocks and Minerals and Jack Pine’s debut solo release Lone Wolf EP.

Before the performance, people were greeted by Trish Murray of CHUO 89.1 FM and RedLeaf Music. Accompanied by Murray were several other RedLeaf Music representatives who planned the event.

To begin the night, singer-songwriter Jack Pine (Gareth Auden-Hole) thanked the audience for celebrating with him. Pine played all five songs off his EP, which expressed a deep romance with nature.

The song called “Makeup or Breakup” expressed the severe relationship between society and the environment, explaining the importance of mending the exploitation of the Earth.

When asked about the meaning of life by an audience member Pine replied, “Listen to music.”

Pine was evidently passionate about each word he spoke, and with every strum of his guitar the audience was waiting for more. At one point Pine requested everyone howl along with the music. The howls rang off the church walls and remained an echo amidst the singer’s voice.

If Pine’s lively folk music wasn’t enough to draw people in, his lyrical work was enough to make everyone a true fan. To say the least, the EP Lone Wolf spoke to me.

Following Pine was The John Punch Band, who were celebrating the release of their first full-length album Rocks and Minerals, which was recorded in part with Jack Pine. It was evident each musician was deeply invested in the music and were in sync with one another. It was like watching a group of friends communicating through their art.

“We’re all friends—we welcome anyone who wants to jam with us,” drummer Matt MacKinnon said.

The band took the indie rock genre to another level with the use of Anthony Bacon’s superb cello playing, with Ueli Dörig on the saxophone.

“We accept everyone who has the time,” vocalist and guitarist Cory Thibodeau said. “I start off nervous but I work towards it when performing. It really is a good time.”

The release of their first album has been in the works for several years and some songs have been in development for as long as ten years.

While the bands entertained, Sean Hyatt, local artist and designer of both album covers, was stationed in the back doing live art. Hyatt was diligently working away painting an apocalyptic scene that gave voice to his ideas on society.

“I want to be working with my hands,” Hyatt said. “My art gives me a vehicle to speak and tell stories. I really took off when designing the wolf and astro man for both covers.”

Hyatt explained he was drawn into the event by a friend telling him about the groups.

“This is a community,” Hyatt said. “People in the arts are interesting to talk to.”

The event was full of friends, which created a great atmosphere for celebrating both album releases. The musicians literally took over the altar and entertained everyone in attendance since the venue was in the cathedral of a church.