“We could have walk-outs in this play, if we’re lucky,” said director John P. Kelly. (Photo provided)

As the lights dimmed, nervous anticipation could be felt from the whole crew working on November, by David Mamet.

November is an outrageously controversial play that had the potential to offend many of the theater enthusiasts that attended its opening night, on Nov. 23, at the Gladstone Theatre.

The play centres around the president of the United States, as he attempts to get re-elected in an adverse political climate.  The president, who has fallen out-of-touch with foreign affairs and who has lost the faith of his own advisory council, tries to scheme his way into winning the election.

What makes November such a risk to perform is the way in which it perpetuates many different stereotypes commonly associated with Americans, in a particularly foul way. The dialogue contains an abundance of curses and several racial slurs.

The end effect, depending on the spectator, could have been either one of hilarity or one of offence. This risk being considered, The Gladstone was able to win over the audience and keep them laughing throughout the entire two hour-long show.

From the very start, Todd Duckworth, who played President Charles Smith, kept the audience on their toes by making comments about China, the Middle East, and how he knew nothing about them.

“Aren’t we at war with China?” asked Duckworth, near the beginning of the play

The President’s only ally, Chief of Staff Archer, played by Steve Martin, helped to project the controversial statements the president was making, due to his comparative normality.

The play was directed by John P. Kelly, who was proud to announce before the show, that November is the 24th show he has directed in Ottawa.  November is different than anything he has directed before, due to how strong a stance it takes on critiquing American culture.

“We could have walk-outs in this play, if we’re lucky,” he said proudly before the show commenced.

The play keeps its quick pace through the addition of three incidental characters that each perpetuate problems facing America. There is a lesbian speechwriter searching to further her rights, a representative from the Turkey Association who represents conservative ideals, and an Aboriginal chief in search of more land.

These three characters, played by Chantale Plante, Tom Charlebois, and Bruce Sinclair, respectively, each alter the course of the play significantly by adding in conflict. They also provided hilarious moments the audience wasn’t expecting.

At its heart, the play is a social commentary aimed at highlighting the flaws of the American political system and of patriotic American attitudes. Because of this, Mamet wasted no time assaulting every piece of American identity he could get his hands on.

“If you happen to be in love with all things American, if you happen to be someone that thinks that everything the Americans do is great, their politics, their culture, and their music — don’t come to this show!” warned John P. Kelly.

November is at The Gladstone until Dec. 8.