The witches and wizards from Hogwarts weren’t the most magical part of the Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone in Concert—it was the music. Fans packed the Canadian Tire Centre on Jan. 25 and 26 to hear John Williams’ score performed live by the National Arts Centre (NAC) orchestra, while the movie played in the background.

I’ve seen all the Harry Potter movies many times, but this surpassed any previous viewing.

Williams’ original score is one of the most iconic of all.

From the moment it began, it was clear that this was a much different experience than simply listening to the music coming through a pair of speakers.

Film composer John Jesensky came to Canada’s capital for the first time and he didn’t disappoint.

All the emotions of the movie were perfectly captured in sound: the whimsical feeling of an 11-year-old finding out he’s a wizard, the triumph of Neville Longbottom getting the last 10 points for his house, the terrifying moment when Harry comes face-to-face with Lord Voldemort in the forbidden forest.

The music intensified the scene where Harry and Ron save Hermione from a giant troll, bringing the audience right into the girl’s bathroom.

It didn’t matter how many times people had heard the classic “Harry’s Wondrous World,” Jesensky and the instrumentalists captivated everyone with their heart- warming sound. Harp player Michelle Gott had beautiful solos throughout the concert.

Jesensky kept the orchestra impeccably timed with the movie and every sudden movement on screen was matched with the music. They also had incredible control over the sound, oftentimes leaving me with goosebumps.

This was no ordinary orchestra concert. Both old and young gathered to watch the performance and children squirmed in their seats.

People bought popcorn, fountain drinks, and candy before the show. Gryffindor and Hufflepuff scarves dotted the audience.

Jesensky announced at the start that people should cheer throughout the mov- ie for their favourite characters.

Applause rocked the arena when Hagrid flew in on his flying motorcycle and when Mrs. Weasley bustled through Kings Cross Station.

Villains Malfoy and the Dursleys weren’t as lucky, and boos overtook even the sound of the orchestra when they appeared on screen.

It was easy to feel like a part of the story when everyone clapped along with the Hogwarts students after Gryffindor won the house cup.

The music swelled to fill the whole arena, and it really did feel a bit like magic.

When the movie ended, the orchestra continued to play through the credits. Normally, when a movie is over, people don’t stick around, but the NAC Orchestra made it worth staying in your seats.

Without the movie playing in the background, it was possible to fully appreciate their skill and comprehension of the score.

The music wasn’t just heard—it was felt.

The orchestra got a well-deserved standing ovation at the end. Perhaps everyone left the arena feeling a little less like a Muggle.

Image provided