Photos are provided.

The evening of Nov. 21 played out like a shopping montage in a chick flick at The Closet Collective, a clothing fundraiser hosted by the Ottawa School of Art (OSA) and Carolynn Lacasse of lifestyle blog J’adore This. While shopping is a pastime often mocked for being vain and consumeristic, shoppers at the OSA had good cause to indulge their money in a stylish blouse or two.

The Closet Collective is co-ordinated to support the OSA’s charitable arts education, Dress for Success Ottawa, and the St. Joe’s Women’s Centre. The event was sold out and each attendee received one drink along with a shopping bag.

Dress for Success Ottawa promotes women’s economic independence by providing professional attire and career development support to unemployed women. St. Joe’s Women’s Centre has various services—ranging from meal preparation to laundry facilities—to help homeless women live out their lives. The OSA provides free community-based arts education classes for at-risk children and youth.

Retailers and women from all over Ottawa donated gently-used clothing and accessories to be sold at the Closet Collective.

The studio was densely packed with customers jostling each other while scouring the various racks of blouses, shoes, blazers, skirts, and pants. There were also appetizers, candy, and wine set out for shoppers to enjoy and take a breather amidst the busyness of the venue.

Despite the crowdedness of the makeshift boutique, the shopping environment was altogether enjoyable and close-knit.

“[There was] a very high-energy, supportive environment,” Kate Whately, an event attendee, said. “It was nice having the different women comment on the different outfits and suggest other articles of clothing.”

According to OSA marketing co-ordinator Nina Camilleri, more than 1,000 items were donated for the event.

aClosetCollective16_2_Provided_(WEB)

“This was the first time we had done a clothing fundraiser,” Camilleri said. “The challenge was organizing the items that came in.”

Donations from well-known brands such as Joe Fresh, Gap, Forever 21, and Urban Outfitters, were sold on the racks.

“Fashion is a creative force,” Camilleri said.

Ultimately, the Closet Collective showed how fashion, an industry often scorned for being extravagant and vain, can be a force used for good.