2012 was a strange year for music. From the experimental releases (Grimes, Death Grips), to albums deeply rooted in their influences (Frank Ocean, Kendrick Lamar), the scope of critical acclaim seemed to be very wide, and most of these albums were deserving as well. This 10-album will seek to root out the best of the year, from every corner of the music world.

I talked to Carleton journalism student and avid music fan Keith Hickey for his thoughts on the year’s music. One of Hickey’s favourites was South California rapper Kendrick Lamar’s Good Kid, M.A.A.D City, which he called “a complex hip-hop album dealing with morality and religion as well as gang violence and drug abuse, one of the most rewarding albums of the entire year.”

Hickey also enjoyed electronic releases from enigmatic producers such as Actress, whose record he referred to as “the most sonically interesting release of the year”

Michael Ward, an engineering student at the University of Ottawa, was less enthusiastic about the year.

“I didn’t hear too many albums I liked,” Ward said. “I thought Frank Ocean put out a good one, and so did Regina Spektor, she’s always good.” Ward said that he did hear many songs he liked on the radio, however.

“I thought that Carly Rae Jepsen’s ‘Call Me Maybe’ was really good, especially for a big pop song. Everybody liked that song.”

With much thought, I compiled my own list of albums that I returned to many times, and will remember for years to come.

Graphics by Mimi Gagne

Frank Ocean: Channel Orange

A glorious R&B album without a single weak song, Channel Orange came from virtually nowhere this year and dominated the music scene.

Japandroids: Celebration Rock

Celebration Rock is an album crafted for the eternal teenager. From the shouted choruses to the jangling guitars, the album is pure rock pleasure.

Swans: The Seer

Swans have been around for a long time, close to 30 years in fact, and The Seer compounds all their strengths into one enigmatic release.

Killer Mike: R.A.P. Music

From the first verse to the last pumping keyboard line, R.A.P. Music is full of a rebellious energy unseen since the days of N.W.A.

White Suns: Sinews

Sinews is a difficult and loud release from noise-rock band White Suns. Likely the most inaccessible album on this list, the album proved to be a cult hit amongst fans of hardcore punk such as Black Flag.

Chairlift: Something

Chairlift’s sophomore album was full of carefully crafted and well-performed pop songs in the vein of Fleetwood Mac and The Police.

Death Grips: NO LOVE DEEP WEB

The better of the two albums Death Grips released this year was an amazing demonstration of MC Ride’s true vocal powers and the band’s ability to change their sound while remaining loyal to their ideals.

Grimes: Visions

An atmospheric and utterly creative album from Canadian icon Claire Boucher. Remains highly danceable and an excellent earphone listen.

YYU: TIMETIMETIME&TIME

Dismembered guitar loops, grunts and wails haunt this album from the mysterious YYU project. Hard to pin down but always a fascinating listen.

Father John Misty: Fear Fun

This is the debut album by ex-Fleet Foxes member Father John Misty, who takes his folk background and pushes it into new territory.