A stuffed panda bear is tossed in the air at the 52nd Panda Game at TD Place in Ottawa, Ont. on Oct. 2, 2021. [Photo by Spencer Colby/Charlatan Newspaper]

It was the first Panda Game in two years and for the fans, it didn’t disappoint.

The Carleton Ravens had a 1-1 record heading into the game, while the uOttawa Gee-Gees were 0-2 and looking for their first win. The stats from both teams proved that securing Pedro the Panda would be hard work and the game would be close.

Despite the heavy rain throughout the game, being back in the stands after two years had all the fans buzzing. When I arrived at TD Place, I could feel the excitement in the air from the loads of people and their excited chatter.

READ: Carleton comeback falls short in rainy Panda Game thriller

I was fortunate enough to have bought tickets with some friends in the Ravens’ section on the south side of TD Place, so everyone around us was hoping for the same outcome—a Carleton win. While there were a few uOttawa fans on the south side, it didn’t diminish Carleton’s passion and excitement for what was to come.

As usual, the classic chants and taunting back and forth from both fanbases continued throughout the game. This provided others and myself with even more eagerness for a big Ravens win.

When the players came bursting out onto the field at the beginning of the game and fireworks erupted around us, everyone cheered and looked around in awe, ready for the game to start.

Carleton secured the first touchdown, sending the fans into a frenzy. After a slow second and third quarter for the Ravens, they had a stellar fourth quarter where the score and plays came down to the wire.

As distracting as the environment around the Panda Game can be, Carleton’s comeback from being down 16-7 with seven minutes left brought all the attention back to the field for the final moments. The rain had also slowed, allowing people who had congregated on the concourse to get back to their seats.

It was neck and neck for the final seven minutes, with students on both sides very excited but nervous at the same time. Fans continued their chants back and forth.

In the end, uOttawa’s Campbell Fair kicked a last-minute 45-yard field goal that gave the Gee-Gees a two-point win over the Ravens, 19-17.

When the Ravens lost, it felt as if the wind was taken out of the fans on the Carleton side. Most students began heading out of the stadium, while a few Ravens ended up on the field which had been flooded by uOttawa fans celebrating their win. As a Raven, it was disappointing to see the north side of TD Place empty onto the field in jubilation.

Although the rain was strong at points and Carleton lost, I still enjoyed the Panda Game, especially considering it was my first experience attending university sports. Fans were clearly ready for a good time after the absence of last year’s Panda Game and the experience did not disappoint.