This weekend saw Ottawa’s CityFolk Festival wrap up its twenty-fifth year.

Fans braved the hazy heat of Lansdowne Park’s Great Lawn and Aberdeen Pavilion to see their favourite established artists and to discover some exciting newcomers.

The Lansdowne Park venue held two stages—the main outdoor City Stage and Ravenlaw Stage inside the pavilion.

Saturday’s programming included country artist Lindi Ortega. Opening up with the song “Angels,” she rolled smoothly through her set, performing a stripped-down show which included a cover of Nancy Sinatra’s “Bang Bang.”

Skydiggers—Photo by Jeff Pelletier

Toronto band Skydiggers were a highlight of the show at the indoor Ravenlaw stage, with visitors spilling out past the curtained-off area where the band played their set. The multi-instrumental group included violin, trumpet, and multiple vocalists, playing the song “We Don’t Talk Much Anymore.” The band showcased their roots rock style, with prominent instrumental solos that allowed each member’s talents to shine. 

Michael McDonald—Photo by Jasmine Foong

Veteran performer Michael McDonald captured an impressive crowd, playing a combination of solo material and Doobie Brothers hits including “Here to Love You.” His smoky voice soared over jazzy piano melodies, complemented by a strong backing band that followed his every move. He pulled out a cover of the Marvin Gaye classic “What’s Going On” for his encore to much applause.

Finally, headliner Hozier capped off the night. He did not disappoint. The Irish singer-songwriter included music from his newest single “Nina Cried Power,” as well as well-known audience favourites including “Take Me to Church” and “Cherry Wine.” He also treated listeners to some unreleased material.

Hozier—Photo by Jasmine Foong

During his set, Hozier expressed his happiness at being in Ottawa, telling fans he’d spent a day exploring the city, and was grateful to be in a “beautiful part of the world.” 

Sunday’s show included folk rockers Whitehorse, who won the crowd over with their powerful vocal harmonies and guitar-driven tunes.

Terra Lightfoot took to the stage at 7 p.m. for her high-energy set. Lightfoot, joined by her bassist and drummer, treated her fans to a dynamic rock ‘n’ roll show with expert guitar riffs, and soulful vocals. She got the crowd involved, asking her audience to form a CityFolk choir to sing along with her.

Lightfoot’s set included hits such as “No Hurry” and “Pinball King,” a song that pays tribute to Ottawa landmarks like the Rideau Canal and House of TARG.

Chris Smither performed his unique style of fingerpicked guitar, with a strong blues twang. His sultry vocals and rhythmic toe-tapping had listeners clapping and dancing along.

“Here’s a little song for you that my mother would have hated,” he said, as he introduced the seductive track “Don’t Call Me Stranger” off his album Time Stands Still, a raspy nod to his classic blues influences.

Finally, Portland, Ore. rockers The Decemberists finished off the festivities, showcasing their danceable indie rock chops. Starting off with their intense electronic hit “Severed,” they kept the crowd swaying along to songs like “Sucker’s Prayer” to give a strong send-off to a fun-filled festival.