The first few weeks back in Ottawa after summer is an exciting time. It’s a time for meeting new friends or reuniting with old ones, getting hyped for Panda Game, and of course, CityFolk. The longstanding music festival lasts only a few days, but many artists have come to town to tear up the stage in Lansdowne. The kick-off night can really set the tone for how the festival may go. In fact, it can be one of the highlights of the entire festival. 

The lineup for Sept. 12 included Orville Peck, Lucinda Williams, and headliners The Strumbellas. All three performances were very different from each other in many ways, but I enjoyed much of the night. Though I was not prepared for how cold it was going to get, the performances all brought something different to the audience, which definitely sets the rest of the festival in a great spot.

Orville Peck

Orville Peck may be one of the most intriguing performers in music. Orville Peck, which is a stage name (his real identity still remains anonymous), wears a long, fringed mask whenever he performs, topped with a cowboy hat, resembling a Lone Ranger figure. Peck may not be the face we think of when it comes to country music today, but his presence is impossible to ignore.

At first, seeing Peck is attention grabbing. Not only because of his signature look, accompanied with a band also decked out in cowboy gear, but for the way he carries himself on stage. Reminiscent of country music from the 60s, Peck draws inspiration from artists like Willie Nelson, and croons of love and heartbreak in his ballads. Perhaps that is the most intriguing part about him – no one knows who he really is, but once you hear his music, you will not forget him. It’s hard to not connect with Peck somehow. His dramatic longing for a simpler time allows for some kind of projection.

Rather than fusing genres like some country artists have done, Peck has a distinct sound that, if you just close your eyes for a second, feels like you have been transported to early America. Everything about Peck’s performance, from the little dips and bends he would do while performing to reaching out to touch the audience, was an attempt to get the audience to connect with him through his music. In this way, Peck fosters connections with his audience not for who he is, but for what he represents through his art–something that is uncommon for many artists, but that I think works perfectly in Peck’s favour.

Recommended Songs: “Kansas (Remembers Me Now),” “Queen of the Rodeo,” and “Dead of Night.”

Lucinda Williams

Lucinda Williams has been performing music for almost 40 years, which is no small feat. Her breakout album Car Wheels on a Gravel Road just turned 21. Before attending the performance, Williams was the artist that I was least familiar with. I could hear people around me buzzing with excitement, even eagerly chanting her name. But when she hit that stage, it was easy to understand why people were excited.

Williams’ voice is so unique to her, and I say that after having only heard her music that night. She’s truly unlike any other folk or country musician. She conveys strong emotion and that alone is captivating. There was so much intensity in Williams’ performance, despite the fact that there was little movement on stage. Though she has a more contemporary sound compared to Peck, she still managed to pull everyone in, connecting with them through her stories of heartbreak, betrayal, and love.

If what you say strikes a chord, a connection between artist and crowd is cemented. Look at Robert Plant, former lead singer of Led Zeppelin who is set to perform later during the festival. Plant drew attention because of those who have connected with him. Both artists, in their respective genres, have cemented a legacy in the minds of their fans that will continue to grow.

Recommended Songs: “West Memphis,” “Essence,” and “Fruits of My Labor.”

The Strumbellas

Speaking frankly, this may have been the weakest point of the night for me. After the intensity of Orville Peck and Lucinda Williams, the happy, inspirational music of The Strumbellas should have been welcomed as a change of pace. Personally, I just could not connect with the music. Not to say it wasn’t a great performance–they have a great stage presence and band member David Ritter spent some of the performance reflecting on his time as a Carleton alum and being back in the city, which was a fun time. 

But I don’t think that it’s my style of music. I definitely appreciated the energy they brought and how they tried to establish a connection with the audience through different anecdotes. The folksy-pop sound that they use is something they have managed to take in a different direction compared to other groups, like Mumford and Sons or The Head and the Heart, but, while enjoyable, I didn’t find it as impactful as Peck or Williams.

Recommended Songs: “Spirits,” “Salvation,” and “We Were Young.”

Feature image by Spencer Colby