A street in Little Italy was ceremoniously renamed Fashion Boulevard to mark Ottawa Fashion Week. (Photo by Julia Brucculieri)

As high heels clicked and the occasional male model appeared, designers from Ottawa and beyond premiered their spring/summer 2013 collections Oct. 12-14. This year marked Ottawa Fashion Week’s 8th edition.

The trends and talent bring together a crowd that only gets  more prominent as the seasons go by.

Ottawa Fashion Week even captivated Max Keeping, former CTV Ottawa news anchor, since he was introduced to it three years ago.

He said the ambience, the environment, and the buzz are present and conducive to its success and its fun.

“I don’t know a lot about fashion, but I know a lot about partying,” he said.

“These three days are definite party days, where people want to feel good and see what’s going on, and it’s great fun.”

Since his first time, Keeping has not missed a season.

The excitement and anticipation grew as the red carpet was extended for Ottawa Fashion Week, which was declared to be located in the underrated Little Italy this season.

Sala San Marco served as the venue, on the street ceremoniously declared Fashion Boulevard for the event by creative director Bruno Racine.

Racine, who is also CEO of The Loft and Le Spa, said he likes  bringing the crowd together.

“Bringing the crowd out of their homes in Ottawa, and bringing buyers, retailers, designers, and everyone who is hungry for new and unique styles to come join and see what we’re all about,” Racine said.

The Loft and Le Spa are responsible for the models’ hair, while makeup company Smashbox takes care of makeup.

From its Oct. 9 launch party to the official opening night, attendees buzzed with excitement as the bottles of champagne burst open.

“I’m expecting a lot of colour and fabulousness, and really good design. I’m hoping that there are really interesting things to look at, interesting in genius and innovation,” said Lois Lee, a Ryerson journalism alum and talk show host on Rogers TV’s Daytime.

Ottawa Fashion Week showcased its balanced portions of colours, neutral tones, tailored body-conscious designs, lace, and on-trend hair and makeup.

Designer Kelsey McIntyre discussed Serendipity, her line that offered a sparkling show with historical references.

“[It’s] inspired by the Edwardian lady, and the grace of God,” she said.

“[I’m] trying to combine those two elements into a collection.”

She said the collection features “lace, sequins, and the juxtaposition of different tones and colours.”

Carissa McCaig, designing her first collection called Copious at Ottawa Fashion Week found a similar quality about Ottawa that led her to premiere her line.

“I love how Ottawa in general supports local talent,” she said. “Ottawa embraces that a lot more [than anywhere else].”

Her collection included bright colours that were enhanced and balanced by splashes of grey.

She said her inspirations include a country tea party, reflected by her sophisticated feminine frocks and summer tones.

The week of designs and high expectations was more than a showcase of clothing.

It represented a particular community coming together as one.

Ottawa Citizen writer and fashion week veteran Janet Wilson observed this collective feel.

“I like the whole atmosphere. I love seeing the new designers showcasing, I love seeing the organizers — I think a lot of people in Ottawa want to see Ottawa Fashion Week succeed,” Wilson said.

“I think it’s really important for the city and the fashion industry in Ottawa. It’s a very positive, tight knit community, so it’s fantastic,” she said.