Taffe Charles, head coach of the Carleton Ravens women’s basketball team, has temporarily swapped his Ravens coaching duties for one with Team Canada.

Charles served as an assistant coach with the Canadian girls’ under-17 national team, which competed in the 2014 Fédération Internationale de Basketball (FIBA) u-17 World Championship from in the Czech Republic from June 28-July 6.

Despite the loss, he said he learned plenty about basketball and cultures around the world in general.

“Basketball is being played in a number of different countries, and sometimes they do things a little differently,” he said. “So, you learn about new ways to approach things.”

The u-17 squad, commonly known as the Cadettes in international basketball, qualified for this year’s World Championship after taking home the silver medal last summer in the u-16 competition.

Charles said the u-17 team was largely similar to the u-16 squad from a year before, as teams compete in a two-year cycle.

The 2014 Canadian Cadettes finished the u-17 World Championship with an overall record of 3-4, good enough for sixth place out of 16 competing countries in the tournament.

The team had a 1-2 record in their pool, which included an overtime loss to eventual bronze medallist Hungary, and a slim nine-point defeat to the Czech Republic, the fourth-place finishers.

A convincing 86-45 quarter-final loss at the hands of the U.S. ended Canadian dreams of a second straight FIBA Cadettes podium appearance.

Despite the loss, Charles said he loved the experience to go overseas and coach such a high level of basketball.

“It’s always fun to work with the best kids in an age group in the country, and it’s always an honour to represent your country,” he said.

Due to the talent pool at the tournament, Charles said he wished players on the national team would join him at Carleton, but most of them will be playing for better schools in the National Collegiate Athletic Association this coming season.

“Unfortunately, these girls are pretty good,” he acknowledged with a laugh. “Pretty much everyone that played on my team [in the Czech Republic] will be going to the U.S.”

Charles said he will now turn his attention to the upcoming Ravens season, which is slated to begin on Nov. 7 against the Brock Badgers after a lengthy exhibition schedule—including a Western road trip to Saskatchewan.

Looking at his future in coaching international basketball again, Charles said he’s unsure, hoping to continue to get more opportunities to coach some of the world’s best.

“I’m hoping to get another opportunity to do something–maybe head coach at some point,” he said. “But in any case, representing Canada at any facet is always great.”