Charlatan Live is the Charlatan's weekly audio show. [Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

Charlatan Live is the Charlatan’s weekly show about Carleton University’s latest news, stories, arts and sports.

This week, hosts Mark Colley and Isaac Phan Nay talk about Carleton University signing a climate charter, Rooster’s new mural, a return to residence, women’s rugby’s winning streak, and what’s new with CUSA.

To read more about these stories, click the links below:

We would like to acknowledge that we are living, working, and operating on the traditional and unceded territory of the Algonquin nation.

As settlers on this land, we are committed to prioritizing Indigenous voices and learning how we can support the ongoing movement towards decolonization and anti-racism.

Follow us on your favourite podcast platform if you want Charlatan Live streamed, beamed and delivered through machines straight to your face once per week.

Want to send a message to the editors? Use this form.

This episode featured a news transition by Mix Kit, and “Catch It” by Coma Media.

Transcription

INTRO

Hello and welcome to Charlatan Live, beaming straight into your ear holes. The date is Sept. 23, 2022.

This week, we’ll talk about Carleton University signing a climate charter, Rooster’s new mural, a return to residence, women’s rugby’s winning streak and what’s new with CUSA. 

We’ll also get to hear our national editor Evert Lindquist sit down with Ottawa mayor Jim Watson ahead of the October municipal election.

My name is Isaac Phan Nay, and I’m Mark Colley. Let’s get into the news.

CLIMATE CHARTER

Carleton University has signed the Climate Charter for Canadian Universities, a commitment to reduce carbon emissions and invest responsibly.

Philip Mansfield is Carleton University’s sustainability manager.

MANSFIELD:“IT PROVIDES THE LEVELS OF ACCOUNTABILITY”

He said the charter holds all Canadian schools to the same sustainability standards.

MANSFIELD: “IT’S JUST A WAY FOR US TO SORT OF VALIDATE THAT THE WORK AND THE ACTIONS THAT WE’RE TAKING ON ON CAMPUS AND ENSURE THAT WE’RE NOT DOING IT IN A SILO, BUT WE’RE ACTUALLY DOING IT AGAINST SORT OF THE BROADER BEST PRACTICES WITHIN THE UNIVERSITY SECTOR.”

Carleton is one of 20 Canadian universities to sign the charter. 

The charter asks schools to reduce the carbon emissions of their investments. 

Angela Winder is a pension fund administrator at Carleton University.

WINDER: “IT’S IMPORTANT THAT WE RECOGNIZE THAT THE CHARTER IS REFLECTING CARLETON’S DEEP COMMITMENT TO RESPONSIBLE INVESTING.”

The charter asks universities to consider environmental, social and governance factors when investing. It also asks schools to measure the emissions of their investments regularly and share results with the public.

Winder said fund managers are measuring the university’s investments and will share their findings with the Board of Governors. 

ROOSTER’S

Carleton’s most popular coffee spot is getting a glow-up.

Rooster’s Coffeehouse recently unveiled a new mural designed by Raneem Abouseta. Abouseta is a third-year computer systems engineering student and a frequent Rooster’s customer. She applied in July to paint the mural after seeing a post on Instagram.

ABOUSETA: “That immediately piqued my interest because I’m always there anyways studying, and I was really keen on, like, putting my art on the wall in, like, one of my favourite restaurants, so I immediately clicked apply and sent over my application.”

The mural depicts a black and white coffee cup with many Rooster’s staples pouring out. 

This includes a bagelwich, croissant, iced coffee and tea.

Abouseta said she designed the mural with input from Rooster’s staff.

ABOUSETA:“I actually went to each of the Rooster’s kitchen staff and I asked them for, like, things that they want to see on the mural. Like I personally based it off of things that I ordered from them before. Like, that’s how I got my reference photos.”

Abouseta considers herself a self-taught artist.

ABOUSETA: “I would, like, sit at home and do my own sketching and stuff. And I feel like my passion for art kind of escalated when COVID-19 came about, so I have that to thank. Um, and then, I kind of, like, took a two-year art break after that and came back into art with a new role, because I wasn’t actually actively drawing until I saw the opportunity here and I was like, you know what, maybe it’s about time I got back into it.”

Abouseta said she is proud to have student art on the walls at Rooster’s. 

She hopes people get excited when they see their order on the wall.

RES MOVE-IN

For the first time in almost three years, campus residence is almost full again.

About three thousand and six hundred students moved into dorms this September. That’s more than double the number of students that moved into residence last year, when the university reduced housing capacity during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

CUSA UPDATE

The Carleton University Student’s Association is revamping their student justice system.

At a monthly meeting in August, council reviewed past decisions made by the Student Tribunal.

In a 1949 case, the president of the tribunal banned publication of The Carleton, an independent newspaper that later became the Charlatan.

In a 2009 case, a student accused the association’s constitutional board of breaking its own bylaws. The tribunal dismissed the allegations without any explanation.

The association voted to throw out these cases in their August meeting.

Former councilor Saad Khan also resigned from his position on council after switching into a science major. 

SPORTS

CLIP: (Cheering of fans at rugby game) 

In sports, women’s rugby remained undefeated with a win over the University of Montreal on Saturday.

The Ravens opened the season with blowout wins against Sherbooke and McGill. They won bronze against Montreal in last year’s conference playoffs. 

Head coach David Luong said that the 15-0 win over Montreal this past weekend was especially meaningful.

LUONG: “I think it’s a good test, because now the players know what a hard-fought game will be and our next two matches will definitely be that.”

Carleton will play Laval this weekend and the University of Ottawa next weekend. Both teams are also undefeated.

Carleton men’s and women’s soccer both took wins against the Nipissing Lakers this weekend. Chloe Doiron scored her first goal of the year in the women’s 1-0 win. Mohamed Bouzidief scored two goals in the men’s 4-1 win.

The Ravens football team took Carleton’s only varsity loss. They lost 49-17 to the Queen’s Gaels.

WATSON

Ottawa mayor Jim Watson is nearing his final month in office.

He is the longest-serving mayor in Ottawa history. 

However, he announced last year that he would not seek re-election in October.

The Charlatan’s Evert Lindquist sat down with Watson to discuss his time in office and what’s next.

There are 14 candidates running for Watson’s spot in the Ottawa mayoral election this fall.

Voting happens on October 24.

CREDITS

This episode featured original reporting by Evert Lindquist, Janson Duench, Audrey Pridham, Anya Swettemham, Daria Maystruck and Dominique Gené, and was edited by Isabel Harder. Production by Mark Colley and Isaac Phan Nay.

To learn more about these stories, visit charlatan.ca. 

That’s C-H-A-R-L-A-T-A-N dot C-A.

We acknowledge that we are living, working, and operating on the traditional and unceded territory of the Algonquin nation.

Thanks for joining us for the Charlatan Live Radio Show. I’ve been your host Isaac Phan Nay, and I’m Mark Colley.

We’ll see you next week. 

Until then, eat your vegetables. 

This episode featured a news transition by Mix Kit. You’re listening to “Catch It” by Coma Media.

Photo provided by the City of Ottawa.