A sex abuse scandal at Pennsylvania State University has resulted in charges being laid against the football team’s former defensive co-ordinator Jerry Sandusky and the dismissal of head coach Joe Paterno, according to a university press release.

Sandusky was arrested Nov. 5 and charged with 40 counts of sexually abusing children over a period of 15 years.

Mike McQueary, the team’s assistant coach, said he witnessed Sandusky abusing a young boy in the showers in 2002, according to The Patriot News.

McQueary said he told Paterno about the event. Paterno then met with Penn State’s athletic director Tim Curley and senior vice-president (finance and business) Gary Schultz, according to The Patriot News.

Paterno, Curley and Schultz have since come under fire for not reporting the event to police.

After the event became public, Paterno announced he would be retiring at the end of the 2011 season.

The university fired Paterno before he could do so, according to a university press release.

“It is in the best interest of the university for [Paterno] to no longer serve as head football coach, effective immediately,” the release stated.

Penn State president Graham Spanier was also fired by the university’s Board of Trustees, according to the release, but recent reports suggest he actually stepped down before that.

“I am heartbroken to think that any child may have been hurt and have deep convictions about the need to protect children and youth,” Spanier said in the statement. “I would never hesitate to report a crime if I had any suspicion that one had been committed.”

Jennifer Brenning, Carleton University’s director of recreation and athletics, said she found the incident tragic, and was surprised at Penn State’s response.

“I found it incredible that university officials did nothing about it,” Brenning said in an email.

Carleton has several rules and regulations in place in case such an event were to occur, Brenning said.

“Every coach and student-athlete signs a code of conduct,” Brenning said. “The university has a harassment policy and procedures, as well as a harassment training model for all full-time staff.”

Since the events, Sandusky has claimed his innocence in an interview with NBC.

“I could say that I have done some of those things. I have horsed around with kids. I have showered after workouts. I have hugged them and I have touched their legs without intent of sexual contact,” Sandusky said in the interview, adding that McQueary’s statements were false.

McQueary was put on administrative leave Nov. 11, according to the university.