Philip Chiu speaks about his performance over a Zoom call. March 22, 2021. Image by Isabel Harder.

The Carleton Dominion-Chalmers Centre (CDCC) hosted its third Ottawa Chamberfest concert of the year virtually on March 22, despite challenges related to scheduling and pandemic restrictions that shifted the planned in-person event online.

Philip Chiu, a classical pianist based in Montreal, performed to an empty hall from the CDCC stage, as the event was live streamed on Chamberfest’s social media platforms.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the annual chamber music festival has been operating primarily virtually, with small crowds of up to 50 physically-distanced audience members at matinee performances, and live streamed events in the evenings.

As Ottawa re-entered Ontario’s red zone March 19, Chamberfest arranged a pre-recorded matinee and evening live stream instead of the previously anticipated live performance.

Carissa Klopoushak, a violinist and interim artistic director of Chamberfest, said the change was necessary but disappointing.

“We all wish that we could come back and be in the hall listening to live music, because there’s nothing that beats it,” Klopoushak said. “Keeping the community safe is of the utmost importance right now.”

Mara Brown, director of the CDCC, said safety standards for events in the centre change depending on the city’s COVID-19 restrictions. Currently, a group of about seven physically-distanced crew members attend to set up the live stream.

“We have established a very particular set of ideals and opportunities that lend themselves to our particular space,” Brown said.

The CDCC’s goals include ensuring high-quality live stream performances and virtual discussions, so audiences feel connected while maintaining public safety.

Chiu’s performance replaced Toronto tenor Jeremy Dutcher, whose performance was cancelled due to COVID-19 restrictions and scheduling challenges. Chiu said the few weeks’ notice he received in order to prepare for the performance was challenging but he was happy to do it. 

He added that in a normal year it is easier for him to perform on short notice because he can prepare the same set for each performance.

“When we’re doing live shows, we can just create one set of music and just tour that around,” Chiu said. “With live streaming, we now run into this issue where even though different organizations have different audiences … it’s all generally available online.”

Chiu’s was the first of four remaining winter concerts for this year’s Chamberfest concert series.

Tickets for upcoming Chamberfest performances by the sibling ensemble Cheng² Duo, solo performer Echo Chamber and band collectif9 are available on the festival’s website.

Featured image by Isabel Harder.