Home Sports Hockey Celebrity Game to be held at Ravens’ Nest

Celebrity Game to be held at Ravens’ Nest

33

The Ravens’ Nest will be hosting the Ottawa Power Wheelchair Hockey League (OPWHL) annual Celebrity Game on Saturday, March 5.

“Originally we just really wanted to raise more awareness about the league when we were a lot smaller and it’s grown from there,” said Dino Giannetti, the special events director of the league.

In past games, the celebrities have used manual wheelchairs, while the players from the league use power wheelchairs.

“We figured this year to raise the level of intensity, we would put them in power wheelchairs and put us on a level playing field,” Giannetti said.

“I think they are in for a treat,” he said with a laugh.

The game will feature celebrities returning from past games along with some new ones.

“Our focus is on local media personalities and professional athletes,” Giannetti said.

Returning players include two linebackers from the RedBlacks, Jordan Verdone and Justin Philips, as well as CTV’s Terry Marcotte and TSN 1200’s Shawn Simpson.

“It’s nice that they return every year and they’ve definitely spread the word around, especially around CTV, about how fun the Celebrity Game is and how important it is,” Giannetti said.

The game will be held on Saturday, March 5, from 2:30 to 4:30 at the Ravens’ Nest. Tickets are $5 and can be purchased from any OPWHL member or at the door.

“We really want to get people out to the Celebrity Game. It’s growing and growing and it’s actually quite a fun game to watch,” Giannetti said.