Carol Clemenhagen is the Conservative Party candidate for Ottawa-centre. She was the first female President & CEO of the Canadian Hospital Association and former executive director of the Medical Research Council of Canada.

Clemenhagen holds a master’s degree in health administration from the University of Ottawa and a bachelor of arts in political science and sociology from Carleton University. 

The Charlatan breaks down Clemenhagen and the Conservative party’s plans for climate change, tuition rates and affordability.  

Climate change 

Clemenhagen and the Conservative party plan on addressing climate change by reducing green-house gas (GHG) emissions through the introduction of a Green Homes tax credit that will help homeowners renovate their homes for energy saving. 

“We envision emissions standards for major emitters that will lower GHG emissions and drive business to the highest standards of green technology,” Clemenhagen writes on her website. 

“Our plan confirms our commitment to set aside 17 per cent of Canada’s terrestrial and 10 per cent of marine areas for conservation protection in keeping with agreed targets in the UN Convention on biological diversity.”

Tuition 

Both Clemenhagen and the Conservative party have no specific proposals when it comes tuition and financial assistance for students. 

Affordable living 

The Conservative platform to increase affordability involves balancing the federal budget in five years to avoid future tax increases.  

“Liberal debt and the growing interest charges on that debt will take us quickly down the road to future tax increases which of course affect each of us and our families.”

“And at the corporate level, hinder the competitiveness of Canadian businesses as they compete in the marketplace with competitors from lower tax jurisdictions,” Clemenhagen writes on her website. 

At the all-candidates debate for Ottawa-Centre at Carleton on Oct. 2, Clemenhagen said this issue isn’t just for students. 

“The Liberals are waiting to tax ordinary citizens,” she said. “The Conservatives don’t want to tax you any more than you should be, we want you to live within your means.” 

Feature image from file.