Carleton University midfielder Matteo de Brienne (22) celebrates following a goal by Ricky Comba (15) against Cape Breton University during the second semi-final game of the U Sports Men's Soccer National Championship at the Ravens Perch in Ottawa, Ont. on Nov. 20, 2021. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

Carleton Ravens men’s soccer star Matteo de Brienne signed a professional contract with the Winnipeg-based Valour FC of the Canadian Premier League (CPL) on Tuesday.

De Brienne was initially included on the eligible prospect list for the CPL-U Sports draft taking place Thursday but was removed shortly after it was posted on Jan. 13. While the reasoning was not publicly provided, some speculate the removal was because of his pending deal with Valour.

During his rookie season with the Ravens in 2021, de Brienne scored seven goals in nine games, tied for 10th in the nation. He was named a U Sports All-Canadian rookie and earned 2021 Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East Rookie of the Year honours.

De Brienne made headlines in October with a highlight-reel goal.

“Everyone can see it—he’s a superstar,” Ravens wide midfielder Scott Mazzotta, who is a prospect in the CPL-U Sports draft, told the Charlatan.

Mazzotta added he thinks signing a pro contract is something top prospects should do, as it frees up limited draft picks for players who do not have the same connections as players like de Brienne. De Brienne has an agent and has played professionally in the past.

“I’m happy to see Matteo taking the next step in his playing career,” Ravens head coach Kwesi Loney said in a press release. “He’s deserving of this opportunity, a hardworking player with the ability to impact games on multiple levels. I look forward to seeing his growth.”

It is unclear how de Brienne will fit into the Valour squad. With the Ravens, he played as a wide midfielder and often drifted into the number nine position. However, in a press release announcing the signing, Valour listed de Brienne as a defender who plays at the left back position.

The CPL-U Sports draft, which 13 Carleton players have registered for, is scheduled for Thursday at 8 p.m. It can be streamed live on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, CanPL.ca and OneSoccer.