Photo by Nick Galipeau.

Carleton students and faculty gathered in the Tory quad Sept. 2 for the unveiling of the Friendship Bench program, in hopes of fostering community engagement and conversations about mental health.

The Friendship Bench is a non-profit foundation that creates a place for secondary and post-secondary students who are struggling to connect with others to have a place to ask for help, according to Sam Fiorella, managing director and co-founder of The Friendship Bench. The bright yellow benches are in two locations on campus.

Fiorella said each school selected to be a part of the volunteer-based program receives a yellow bench, built and installed by the foundation on campus.

He added that he created the program in memory of his son and Carleton student Lucas Fiorella, who secretly suffered from depression and took his own life in Oct. 2014.

The program aims to create a physical place that encourages student conversations about mental health, facilitates peer-to-peer support networks, and funds on-campus mental health programs, according to the program’s website.

Carleton’s health and counselling services, supported by the Friendship Bench, added two yellow benches to the university’s campus, one outside in the Tory quad and the other inside at the galleria in the University Centre, said Jennifer Elliot, manager of strategic initiatives at Carleton.

Fiorella was present at the unveiling ceremony, along with president Roseann Runte and vice-president (students and enrolment) Suzanne Blanchard. The ceremony was streamed live on Periscope.tv.

“Carleton is proud to be the first campus to unveil a Friendship Bench in Canada,” Blanchard said.

Blanchard said Carleton is dedicated to promoting a healthy, supporting, and inclusive campus environment that not only promotes mental health awareness, but also encourages all members of the community to access both on- and off-campus support services when needed.

“This new initiative builds upon our strong commitment, programs, and services at Carleton and is a visual reminder for everyone in our community to continue the important discussion about mental health,” she said.

Most students were excited about the new addition to their campus and the meaning it represents.

“I think the Friendship Bench is an awesome addition to the growing support system there is on campus for those struggling with mental health,” Emma Muir, a third-year social work student, said.

Muir said she believes mental health issues are a lot more common than most people think so taking steps toward combating the stigma that surrounds mental health is important.

“I love the idea of friendship. It makes the Friendship Bench sound super welcoming and positive,” she continued.

The yellow bench on campus will continue to serve as a colourful reminder to all students about the importance of mental health and the need to talk about these issues, according to the program’s Facebook page.

The Friendship Bench encourages students to use hashtag #YellowIsForHello to discuss mental health awareness.