Students wait for buses at Carleton University as an O-Train test drive cruises through campus on March 19, 2024. (Credit: Grace Martin/The Charlatan)

At the beginning of May 2020, the City of Ottawa announced the O-Train Trillium Line would close for two years for its expansion. Four years later, the line remains closed after continuous delays, frustrating Carleton University students.

OC Transpo officials told city council on Feb. 29 that the train’s opening would be delayed through the summer, possibly until September. This follows the city’s October 2023 announcement stating the line’s closure would be extended until spring 2024.

“I’m obviously bothered by it, but honestly I’m kind of used to it now,” said Ali Adwan*, a fourth-year journalism student at Carleton who takes OC Transpo regularly.

Lauren Kent, a third-year media production and design student, said the delay “really annoys” her. Kent lives on campus, but uses OC Transpo often to get groceries and visit family around the city. 

She said she hoped the train would open in the spring, as it would help simplfy her commute.

The delays are problematic for many reasons, according to Emilia De Jesus Peixoto, outgoing vice-president (student issues) for Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA). 

“If students don’t have a way to get to campus, then they can’t pursue an education,” she said.

She said she would like to see transit be a factor that reduces students’ stress rather than contributing to it.

“We need to make sure that at least one aspect of your day-to-day experience is going well.”

The expanded Trillium Line is set to run from Bayview Station to Limebank Station, with a stop at Carleton. The train stopped on campus before its closure in 2020, but has since been replaced with the R2 bus route.

Recently, students reported witnessing the train running past campus regularly during its testing hours. 

For Peixoto, the “most difficult” aspect has been communicating between CUSA, the university and OC Transpo.

Some aspects, including student access to U-Passes, are administrated directly by the university. Peixoto said this makes it challenging for CUSA to communicate certain updates from OC Transpo, as they are not always given directly to the students’ association.

CUSA is planning to send out a forum to students at the end of the summer term to share details on updates they receive from OC Transpo. CUSA wants to keep students informed about the delays, future changes to bus routes, transition periods and more, Peixoto said.

Renée Amilcar, general manager of transit services, spoke at an April 11 city council meeting saying she knows there are many questions about when the train’s service will open to passengers.

“We need to see train operating hours increased, operator training complete and system testing advanced,” Amilcar said, adding these steps will help determine when the train will open.

“This current work is critical and cannot be rushed.”

Considering the delays, some students said they do not think the Trillium Line will open before they graduate.

“I don’t have much faith that I actually will be able to [use the train],” said Kent, who has two years left in her degree. 

Peixoto shared this disappointment.

“This is the capital of Canada, and our transit system is literally a mess,” she said.

The city is set to give additional updates on May 31.

*Ali Adwan has contributed to the Charlatan. Featured image by Grace Martin.