Carleton University students are expressing stress and concern about the potential logistical and academic impacts of the CUPE 4600 strike, as the university scrambles to reassure fears.

CUPE 4600 president Noreen Anne Cauley-Le Fevre said on Tuesday the bargaining teams have not met with the university this week. She said she expects bargaining would resume “later in the week,” but there are no set meeting dates yet.

If a strike lasts 11 days or longer, the university Senate may look into rescheduling or extending the remainder of the term.

If the strike continues and no remedy is available that is “consistent with the principles of academic standards and quality,” the Senate can decide not to grant credits for the term’s courses, according to the Charlatan’s previous reporting.

This conflicts with the university’s newly released bargaining student FAQs page, which says the university does not intend to extend the term and that student grades, course progress and exams will not be at risk due to the strike.

However, this reassurance is too little too late for many students, who fear disruptions to their post-graduation plans, housing and travel plans, if the strike continues.

Julia Darabaner, a fourth-year biology student, said three of her five classes will be impacted by the strike if it continues until Friday. She said she’s worried about her graduation and employment plans.

“I’m constantly in fight or flight, checking my emails,” Darabaner said.

Jordan Vecchio, a fifth-year communication and media studies student, said his post-graduation employment plans are “up in the air” as a result of the strike. Both of his courses are taught by contract instructors.

“I have to pass a [provincial] exam to be licensed to sell insurance,” Vecchio said. “I scheduled that exam already, and I had a plan in place … I may have to delay that because of this pending strike action.”

Vecchio, who also serves as a Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) Faculty of Public Affairs councillor, added he believes “other students are really concerned,” particularly those expecting to graduate at the end of the winter semester like Darabaner.

“This lack of knowing is definitely causing students stress,” he said. 

Executives on both CUSA and the Graduate Students’ Association, which most teaching assistants (TAs) are a part of, have shared their support for CUPE 4600, in addition to other labour unions on campus.

Batoul Yousif, a second-year law student, said a potential term extension could upend her family’s travel plans. Four of her five courses are disrupted.

“My family was thinking about going to Lebanon,” Yousif said. “And now they [may be] thinking about extending the semester [if the strike lasts 11 days], which is proving to be very complicated.”

As contract instructors and teaching assistants strike, many students are concerned about the disuptions’ potential implications. [Photo by L. Manuel Baechlin/The Charlatan]
Yousif also expressed frustration about a lack of support from the university.

Despite the exam period fast approaching, the university did not provide any information on how a strike could affect students until Monday, the day the strike began.

However, all campus services remain open, including the library, where the university’s centre for academic support is located.

Adele Bullock, an international student in her first year of global and international studies, shared Yousif’s sentiment. 

“I cannot have contact with any of the TAs, which is troubling since it is so close to finals,” Bullock said in an emailed statement to the Charlatan. Bullock could not be reached over the phone due to technical difficulties.

Bullock added she has struggled to easily commute to her multiple jobs as a result of OC Transpo disruptions.

OC Transpo bus service is only available on campus after 5 p.m. as drivers are not crossing the picket line onto campus. 

Buses are offering pick up and drop off at the corner of Sunnyside Avenue and Bronson Avenue during the day instead.

Para Transpo is expected to continue offering regular on-campus service, though delays are likely, according to the university.

On Monday, the effects of class and transportation disruptions were evident on campus, which was largely quiet and empty past the picket line.

“I feel like everyone is stuck at the mercy of [Carleton University], just waiting to hear whether they’re going to be saved or whether we’re all just screwed — students, TAs, contract instructors alike,” Darabaner said.

Featured image by L. Manuel Baechlin. With files from Julia Power, Simona Milutinovic, Maryam Alizadeh Mansouri and Mark Ramzy.