Ottawa’s annual Capital Pride ran from Aug. 17-23 this year, with a number of Carleton’s student groups showing their support.

The Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA) was the only student government group from Carleton to walk in the parade, with both Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) and the Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) participating in alternate events.

RRRA president Graham Pedregosa said the group saw a high increase in turnout compared to last year, with about 25 students walking in the parade and giving out candy.

“Double the size, double the pride,” Pedregosa said. “[It was] great to walk in Capital Pride.”

The Gender and Sexuality Resource Centre (GSRC) did not march this year, but held an event that was incorporated as a Capital Pride activity.

“Unfortunately the GSRC did not March in the Pride Parade this weekend. We did have a pride event advertised last week on Wednesday,” said Violette Pelley, administrative coordinator at the GSRC.

“We hosted a board game night/social at the GSRC. Anyone who was interested in the parade itself that contacted us, we referred to [the] SFUO Pride Centre,” she said.

The GSA also did not march at Capital Pride this year, but members were still encouraged to lend support in other ways.

“The GSA did not have a formal contingent at Capital Pride this year, but we encouraged our members to participate in other ways, and many of our members already participate as part of other community groups” said Michael Bueckert, president of the GSA.

CUSA president Fahd Alhattab said that while CUSA did not formally march in the Ottawa parade, they sent students to Toronto Pride and had students participate in other ways during Capital Pride.

He said this year CUSA will be organizing a Rainbow Frosh event for LGBTQ+ students.

Alhattab said RRRA’s participation was a great show of school spirit.

“Students part of RRRA are students part of CUSA, and I think sometimes people don’t recognize this . . . So we were very happy when we saw RRRA out there,” Alhattab said.

“We’re very happy when we see our student associations that we work with out there. So we were very supportive of RRRA.”