Carleton’s teaching assistants and contract instructors may be on strike as early as March 10 unless negotiations with administration improve, according to a university statement.

CUPE 4600, the union representing the two groups, filed two “no board” reports, one for each party it represents, on Feb. 21.

The reports give the union and administration 17 days from the day they are filed to reach an agreement. After that time period passes, the teaching assistants and contract instructors can strike or the university can lock them out.

Carleton and CUPE 4600 have been in negotiations since September 2013 when the teaching assistant and contract instructor collective agreements expired in August.

During negotiations, a provincially appointed conciliator—a moderator—was called in to help the union and university come to an agreement.

Either party can request for the conciliator to file a no board report to the Ministry of Labour if they feel negotiations are still not progressing.

In this case, CUPE 4600 asked the conciliator to file the two no board reports. More than a week prior, teaching assistants voted 82.5 per cent in favour of giving their union executives the power to call a strike, and contract instructors voted 87.5 per cent in favour.

James Meades, president of CUPE 4600, said the no board reports were prompted by a “failure to see serious resolution at the bargaining table.”

“I really couldn’t say what the likelihood of a strike is at this point, but I know that CUPE 4600 is committed to reaching a settlement at the bargaining table,” he said.

Some issues on the bargaining table include working conditions, wages, and tuition rebates for teaching assistants. Contract instructor issues include salary, benefits, working conditions, and class sizes, Meades said.

In a statement, Carleton said the parties are scheduled to meet with a mediator March 5, 6, 8 and 9. Both parties agreed to “refrain from communicating the substance of those discussions in order to focus attention and efforts on reaching an agreement,” the statement read.

“Carleton University remains committed to reaching negotiated settlements with all of its bargaining units,” the statement read.

The university has also been in negotiations with university safety staff.

OPSEU 404, their union, filed a no board report as well, allowing them to strike as early as March 9.

Mediation dates for those negotiations will be March 7, 8 and 9, according to the university’s statement.

Meades said if members of the two unions go on strike they will share resources and the same picket line.

“Both parties want a fair settlement and we’re willing to put in the time together to reach that on both sides,” he said.