Carleton Ravens basketball guards Munis Tutu and Nicole Gilmore will represent Canada at the FISU Summer Universiade from July 2-14 in Naples, Italy.  

The FISU games are international student athlete sports competitions which take place every two years.

Tutu is heading into his third year at Carletonhis last year of eligibilityhaving transferred from Loyola Marymount University in 2017.

Tutu was named a U Sports Final 8 tournament all-star in March, having won his first national title at Carleton.

Carleton Raven Munis Tutu was named a U Sports Final 8 tournament all-star in March. [Photo by Tim Austen]
The Windsor native was also named an Ontario University Athletics (OUA) third-team all-star this past season, averaging 11.5 points-per-game and 4.3 assists per game. 

This past season was also a memorable one for Gilmore, who just finished her fifth year at Carleton. 

The Burlington/Hamilton guard collected numerous accolades, leading the Ravens to the OUA semi-finals. She was named U Sports second team all-star, OUA first team all-star and OUA Defensive Player of the Year. 

Gilmore finishes her Ravens career with 835 points, 556 rebounds and 107 steals. This includes career-bests in 2018-19 of 14.3 points-per-game and 7.7 rebounds-per-game.

She said she is currently pursuing a professional sports career in Europe for next season, having already hired an agent. 

Tutu has represented Canada twice before: at the 2014 U-18 FIBA Americas and the 2018 Commonwealth games.

Both times, Canada came away with a silver medal. He’ll be reunited with Commonwealth Games teammates Alex Carson (Dalhousie University) and Grant Shepard (University of British Columbia) at FISU.

Meanwhile, this is Gilmore’s first-time representing Canada.

She also took part in her first OUA all-star game on May 4 and will be playing alongside all-star game teammate Jama Bin-Edward (Ryerson University).

University of Toronto coach Michele Belanger coached her at the all-star game and will be Canada’s head coach at FISU.

The women’s national team will be in Group D with China, Finland and Australia. The men’s team will also be in Group D as well with Germany, Italy and Norway. 

Canada’s last medal in men’s basketball at the event was a silver in 2011, while the women’s last medal was also silver in 2015.

Canada basketball has won a total of one gold, five silver and six bronze at the FISU games.

In 2017, former Ravens guard Kaza Kajami-Keane played for Canada as they finished 10th. Former Ravens forward Catherine Traer played for the women’s team that year as they finished 7th.

Although the FISU Games will run until July 14, the basketball games will be from July 3-11, with the finals on July 10 and 11.

Photo by Tim Austen