The Ravens have won their ninth national title. (Photo by Willie Carroll)

Nearly 10 years ago to this day, the Carleton Ravens captured their first-ever Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) men’s basketball championship.

If the seventh-seeded Lakehead Thunderwolves were going to achieve the same feat March 10 at Scotiabank Place, they would have to beat Canada’s top-ranked team at their best.

At least that was Ravens head coach Dave Smart’s belief.

And as the Thunder Bay, Ont. outfit — like so many others before them — learned the hard way, that’s a near-impossible task.

In the end, Carleton cruised to a 92-42 victory and cemented their status as the most decorated program in CIS history.

“We never expect to win by that much,” said third-year Ravens guard Philip Scrubb, who finished with 15 points on the night. “We just try and compete for 40 minutes and see what happens.”

With the humiliating 50-point win over the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) bronze medalists, the unflappable Ravens picked up a record ninth national title — moving past the University of Victoria Vikes atop the CIS record books.

In typical Ravens’ fashion, they saved their best for last — producing the widest margin of victory in a championship final.

After losing their season opener, the Ravens ticked off 25 consecutive victories en route to their third straight W.P. McGee Trophy. They outscored their CIS Final 8 opponents by a 259-157 margin over three games this weekend.

“I’m happy it’s over,” Smart said moments after the game. “It’s a grind, this weekend is a grind and I’m thrilled that my kids defended the way they defended and worked at the level they worked at all three games . . . I’m really happy.”

Thomas Scrubb, who was named tournament and championship game MVP, led the way for the Ravens with a game-high 17 points.

“He’s been the best player in the country the last six weeks,” Smart said. “He just has.”

Making their first appearance in the CIS men’s basketball championship final since 1977, the Thunderwolves were simply outclassed by a superior Carleton side.

(Photo by Shamit Tushakiran)

It certainly didn’t help that their starting point-guard Greg Carter, who also happens to be the reigning CIS defensive player of the year, was hampered by an injured left shoulder. He only played 19 minutes.

“He sucked it up and gave a great effort,” said Thunderwolves head coach Scott Morrison. “Greg should go down as the best perimeter defender in the CIS. He’s won more games on the defensive end than anybody I’ve ever seen.”

In front of a favourable crowd, the host Ravens came out strong with an early 11-0 lead and never looked back. The Thunderwolves didn’t record their first basket until after halfway through the first quarter.

Among other areas, the Ravens were dominant on the boards from the opening tip-off. They out-rebounded the Thunderwolves by a 16-9 margin — and 9-2 on the offensive glass — in the first quarter alone.

“I’m a little surprised at how we defended,” Smart said. “I mean I’m never surprised at what we do offensively because we can be a little freakish offensively at times.”

Freakish, indeed.

Led by Philip Scrubb, the Ravens went 15-26 from beyond the arc — a jaw-dropping 57.7 clip.

The Ravens did not fade in the second quarter and kept tearing apart one of the best defences in the country. The Thunderwolves, who were sixth-ranked in points per game allowed in the regular season, were not able to stop the Ravens offensive game and the Ravens ended the half up by 21 points, 40-19.

In the second half, the Ravens continued their dominance in every facet of the game, outscoring the Thunderwolves 52-23 in the final two quarters.

“It’s been a long year,” Thomas Scrubb said. “It feels great to finish it off with a win, especially being at home in front of the home crowd, it really makes it a lot better.”

In the build-up to the championship final, Smart said win or lose, Lakehead was going to get Carleton’s best.

And although the six-time coach of the year wouldn’t quite admit it, he was right.