Two Carleton groups have created a document that attempts to provide guidelines for women to help them lead successful political careers.

Carleton’s Centre for Women in Politics and Public Leadership (CWPPL), along with Carleton’s Equal Voice chapter, created The Essential Guide To Being Elected, Increasing Women’s Representation. This document applies to all women who are planning a career in politics, according to Clare Beckton, founding executive director at CWPPL.

Beckton said the guide builds on Equal Voice’s comprehensive online campaign school called Getting to the Gate, which provides a way for women to really think through what is required in running for office.

She said the collaboration launched a portal in 2014 of research on women and politics in Canada that was pivotal in the creation of the guide.

It uses the research and information gleaned from women who have run for office to bring it all together in one document, Beckton said.

The guide gives tips such as knowing the ins and outs of politics, assessing your readiness, and knowing the nature of competitive nominations, according to CWPPL executive director Nancy Peckford.

“The reality is that one’s success in running for politics often depends on how well you understand your community and the strength of your team,” Peckford said.  “The guide is meant to provide a general overview and encourage more women to consider the possibility.”

Peckford said although there have been notable breakthroughs in recent years, there is a need for far more women to run for office, particularly in the federal government, if parity wants to be seen in the House of Commons.

According to Peckford, the rates of provincial and territorial representations of women vary from 16 to 37 per cent.

“There are so many talented women out there—Equal Voice would like to see that number rise dramatically,” she said.

Catherine McKenna, Liberal Party of Canada candidate in Ottawa Centre, did not use the guide itself during her candidacy, but said she took many of the steps described in it.

“I believe the key for women to be successful in their nomination is for them to decide early that they want to run and then work hard to reach out to everyone in their network,” McKenna said.

She added that since her nomination, she has been knocking on doors, attending community events, and using social media to increase her presence and keep people informed.

Beckton said women still face additional challenges in running for office, and the goal of the guide is to make the necessary information readily accessible.

“What we have offered here is a guide to really get women thinking about the process,” Peckford said. “This guide is just one step on the pathway towards electoral politics.”