Screenshot.

Police are conducting an investigation after a retired Carleton professor was killed in a motorcycle crash on June 20.

Wayne Boone was riding with six other riders on Saturday afternoon when a car carrying two passengers veered into their lane head-on, the Ottawa Citizen reported. The crash took place on the Loyalist Parkway south of Belleville.

Boone was a former professor in the Norman Paterson School of International Affairs (NPSIA), retiring in June 2014. During his five years at Carleton, Boone was key in founding the masters program in infrastructure protection and international security.

“After his retirement, Wayne made valuable contributions to the program as an adjunct research professor in NPSIA,” said Peter Ricketts, provost and vice-president (academic).

The master’s degree he helped create is a joint effort between the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and NPSIA. A statement on the program’s website said Boone’s contributions to the faculty will be missed.

“The administration of the program, its professors, students and alumni will always remember Dr. Boone’s efforts to the safety and security community,” the website said.

Carleton will be releasing the details of Boone’s funeral arrangements once they are finalized by his family.