In an effort to expand the university’s campus, Carleton has explored the possibility of teaming up with the Canadensis Botanical Garden Society to move into part of the experimental farm territory, according to a report by the Ottawa Citizen.

Canadensis and Carleton had plans to bring Ottawa’s first botanical garden to the experimental farm grounds across the canal from campus, the report said. The farm was established in 1886 as the central research station for the federal Department of Agriculture, according to the government’s website. It is also a national heritage site.

Christopher Cline, Carleton’s media relations officer, denied any current partnership with Canadesis or expanding the campus into the experimental farm.

“At this time, the university has no plans to access any property in the experimental farm,” Cline said. “If the federal government engages other community groups in a discussion about the future of the lands, Carleton would welcome an opportunity to be part of that discussion.”

Gerald Lajeunesse, vice-chair of the board of directors for Canadensis, said an in an interview that the option for a partnership is still on the table if Carleton chose to re-evaluate its position on how to move forward with expanding into the farm.

Lajeunesse also told the Citizen that the Ottawa Civic Hospital has also expressed interest into expanding to the experimental farm grounds. The ground currently houses offices, government operations, and gardens. However, much of the land is open for development.

Carleton has not expanded its campus since moving Carleton College from the Glebe area in Ottawa in the early 1960s. Cline said future expansions would be highlighted in the campus master plan, which is set to be finalized in June 2016.

The campus plan aims to set the parameters, policies and directions for the physical development of the campus, according to its executive summary. It is set to be updated every five years, with the last revision being in 2010. Carleton began updating the plan in September 2015.

Lajeunesse said many other universities and academic institutions have affiliations with botanical gardens, and that there are possible benefits to forming a partnership with Carleton.

Students, however, note Carleton’s undeveloped plot on the northern section of the campus as a possible area to start expanding into.

Clemens Schroder, a third-year political science student, said he thinks it is illogical for the school to acquire more land before filling up the space it already has.

He added he was not aware of potential partnership, but that he would support the partnership and building of a botanical garden in Ottawa.