Photo by Anna Sophia Vollmerhausen

Carleton president Roseann Runte gave her annual State of the University address on Sept. 9 in the Tory Building.

The speech touched on a variety of topics, including construction on campus, student enrolment, and Carleton’s developing sexual assault policy.

“Over the summer, much work has been done on the seven-storey Health Science Building,” Runte said. Set to house the health science and neuroscience programs, the Academic Health Science Building will include a 350-seat lecture theatre, wet labs, and research space.

According to Runte, the building is scheduled to be ready for classes in the fall of 2017.

Runte also thanked faculty and staff for their “brilliant” recruitment efforts, which she credited for Carleton’s “fantastic” one per cent increase in full-time undergraduate student enrolment.

Runte said the university needs to continue to be a leader in interdisciplinary studies when discussing the university’s future. To date, Carleton has 28 interdisciplinary academic programs.

“We need to put it in people’s minds so that they understand that interdisciplinarity is innovation, and that Carleton is just as innovative as universities that are recognized to date for [innovation],” Runte said. “We excel in taking down the barriers between people and disciplines.”

Runte also touched on Carleton’s success with international student exchanges.

“This fall, we are welcoming students from 150 different countries,” she said. “These partnerships make our interdisciplinary projects even more meaningful and successful.”

Students’ and faculties’ environmentally-friendly research projects on campus were also highlighted in Runte’s speech.

“Carleton’s commitment for sustainable and efficient operations includes many investments in energy conservation projects,” she said. “Our co-generation facility will generate a large portion of the electricity we use on campus. It links our faculty’s research in gas turbine technology and will provide yet another opportunity for the campus to make itself a living laboratory.”

Runte also mentioned that the Undergraduate Student Research Awards program received 430 applications for 10 positions, and will seek an increase in funds “to expand the number in future years.”

Towards the end of her address, Runte briefly addressed Carleton’s stand-alone sexual assault policy, which is still in development. Focus groups and meetings are set to continue through September, she said.

“By the end of the month, a draft policy will be placed on the web,” Runte said, adding that commentary on the draft policy would be “invited.”