Note: This article has been updated to include further comment on the library’s security measures from university librarian Amber Lannon.

Starting next semester, the MacOdrum Library will be open 24/7 for Carleton students studying late at night during midterm season.

The project—which is a joint collaboration with the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA)—will allow students round-the-clock access to at least two floors of study space in the library for the weeks before and after the February reading week break.

CUSA president David Oladejo said the new initiative aims to eliminate study space issues that appear especially during peak exam season.

“The primary reason we come to this university is to study,” Oladejo said.

“We really felt that the library should be a space that students know that when they have exams, you can go there and stay all night into the early morning and get your studying done without the fear of getting kicked out.”

Oladejo added that while the longer hours might not be able to accommodate every single Carleton student, the new project aims to cater to most students’ midterm schedules that fall primarily around reading week.

“It also comes down to the library’s staffing,” he said. “Obviously, there are some courses that fall outside the zone we have decided on, like some people have midterms really early and some have them really late and unfortunately those ones we can’t accommodate.”

According to associate librarian Amber Lannon, students have long had a “desire for more hours,” prompting previous action to introduce longer hours in the past.

“There is considerable additional cost, of course, in keeping the library open for longer. So, when we did longer pilot hours a few years ago, it wasn’t as well-used as it was hoped so it was scaled back,” Lannon said.

Miranda Caley, a first-year journalism student, said she was excited about the library extending its hours.

“I think it’s honestly a really good idea,” she said. “I personally know a lot of people who’d rather study at night, rather than during the day just because it’s more convenient for their schedules.”

But, Caley said she is concerned about non-students entering the library during later hours.

Lannon said the library currently requires student ID from individuals entering the library after midnight in the 24/7-hour schedule during final exams.

Oladejo said increased security during later hours was a priority while reaching the agreement for longer hours.

According to the library’s website, student can access two full floors round-the-clock Feb. 12-14, and then Feb. 26-28 next year.

—With files from Temur Durrani 

Photo by Jasmine Foong