The Carleton University Ravens were unable to get revenge on the Cape Breton Capers losing 1-2 in the battle for a U Sports bronze medal.

This was the second year in a row the Ravens faced the Capers at nationals.

In the 2018 U Sports men’s soccer championships, the Ravens were knocked out at the semi-final stage at the hands of the Capers.

In the start of the match in Montreal, Carleton head coach Kwesi Loney opted for the first change in the lineup of the tournament. Scott Mazzotta and Junior Asare started the match, in the hopes of adding some extra attacking presence against a quick moving Capers side. 

At first, the adjustment worked in favour of the Ravens, and they did well to move the ball forward in hopes of finding striker Stefan Karajovanovic.

Throughout the opening 20 minutes of the first half, Carleton was maintaining possession as the changed lineup helped midfielders Ricky Comba and Dario Conte keep the ball moving forward. 

The defence worked on neutralizing No. 14 Jesse Macintyre, who pestered the defence with intricate runs.

Despite Carleton controlling much of the game, head coach Deano Morley’s side wasn’t holding back and used any opportunity they saw to try and be the first ones on target. Eventually, their persistence paid off. 

The Ravens’ defence fell asleep and the Capers were able to set up a play, splitting the backline and toe poking the ball past Ravens goalkeeper, Nick Jeffs. Fortunately enough for Loney’s side, the goal was ruled offside. 

As the game continued, the Ravens woke up a little bit and pestered their opponents with free kicks and corners, eventually finding a breakthrough.

Conte stepped up for a free kick in the 29th-minute and while his attempt was blocked by the wall, it was deemed a handball from the referee’s perspective. A penalty was given as a result.

Stefan Karajovanovic strikes the penalty against Cape Breton. [Photo by Spencer Colby]
Karajovanovic, who had been so good for the Ravens this season from the spot, stepped up and put the ball bottom left past Viktor Lyczywek to give his team a 1-0 lead. 

After scoring the opening goal, the Ravens were able to use the momentum and almost put a second past Lyczywek

At halftime, the scoreline remained 1-0. 

After 45 minutes, Loney requested his team step up and increase their intensity going into the second half. 

The Capers entered the second-half with a renewed attacking presence, most notably introducing Cory Bent, who went first overall in the 2019 Canadian Premier League U Sports Draft. 

The Capers pounded the Ravens defence with shot attempts and were racking up corners, forcing Jeffs to make punches. 

Persistence paid off, and the Capers tied the game after Peter Schaale put an open header past Jeffs. 

The Ravens appeared to be reeling after the goal, just managing to hang on as Jeffs kept them in the match with a fingertip save in the 73rd minute. 

A tired Ravens side struggled to push for another goal. Only a minute later from Jeffs’ save, Bent converted a penalty to complete his sides’ comeback, making it 1-2 for the Capers. There was no way back for the Raven’s after that.

Scott Mazzotta has a footrace with his opponent. [Photo by Spencer Colby]
After the match, Loney noted that in the second half, the opponents were the ones to come out stronger and the change in lineup was made to give other players an opportunity. 

“In nationals you want to give players an opportunity. The stage at nationals is always different than the regular season games, the atmosphere, the environment, the pageantry all around it,” said Loney. 

“We just kind of lost the handle of the game in the second half.” 

One player who helped the team stay in the match, as well as maintain their incredible season, was Jeffs.

“Nick’s done an incredible job over the last four or five games for us. From the OUA’s right up until nationals,” said Loney about the graduating goalkeeper.  

“You always need a goalkeeper to make some key saves to hold you in a game and to build confidence as you move forward … he ended off on a great note, a great career with us.”

In addition to Jeffs, Deandre Fells, Diego Politis and captain Dante Cobisa also played their last game as a Raven. 

“It’s sad but it’s all good memories. It’s a good family that we have with the alumni and stuff, I’ll be well taken care of,” said Cobisa. “It was an amazing experience, best experience of my life.” 

Moving forward, Loney believes the team will be better prepared for next year’s tournament when Carleton  will act as hosts. 

“We automatically qualify for the tournament next season, so we’re going to have a good opportunity to prepare for that properly and take this loss today and say, ‘Okay, you know it’s just a stumbling block.’”

Overall, the Ravens went 13-1 in the regular season, claimed the OUA title and finished off the season as fourth in the country. 

Feature image by Spencer Colby.