Carleton has launched a campaign to eliminate the use of plastic straws on campus.

The campaign will remove plastic straws from all non-franchised food places on campus, and replace them with paper straws instead.

First-year law student Sami Islam said he thinks the campaign is a step in the right direction after learning about it in high school. 

“We saw some graphic videos about where straws go . . . they’re dumped into the water and in landfill, and there’s nothing that can be done about them,” Islam said. “It’s important, and it’s our first step to reducing waste. Obviously, there’s so much more to do afterwards, but it’s a nicer step towards a greener earth.”

A question that arises, when switching from plastic straws to paper straws, is its impact on students with disabilities.

Sandra Nelson, Carleton’s director of strategic procurement, said the replacement of plastic straws with paper straws has had a minimal impact.

“So far, there has been a minimal impact to our students and community as a whole,” Nelson said. “While the plastic straw has been eliminated in our non-franchise locations, a paper alternative is available on request. Additionally, you can opt to use a sip lid and eliminate the straw altogether.”

Cameron Rose Jette, third-year human rights student, said the campaign is problematic for students with disabilities, especially those who are unable to use their hands.

“If [people] don’t have the use of their hands to be able to lift up a cup like you would without a straw, and if they don’t have access to a straw, that takes away some of their ability to live an independent life, which I think is very disappointing,” they said.

Emma Locke, a first-year bachelor of global and international studies student said in an email the campaign makes her proud, but she is unsure about paper straws replacing plastic ones.

“This campaign makes me proud that I am going to a school that understands the impact that our unnecessary waste has on the environment and wants to take the steps towards fixing that problem,” Locke said. 

“I don’t know how I feel about paper straws, however,” Locke added.
“They tend to fall apart pretty fast. Another option would have the paper straws but also give out/sell reusable straws. This would encourage people to bring their own straws as the paper ones would fall apart easily.”

While plastic straws are being replaced with paper straws, the paper straws will only be available upon request.

Lorenzo Canumay, first-year political science student, said in an email, he doesn’t think the campaign is necessary because of its limited impact on the environment.

“Why are straws the focus if they have nearly no impact on the environment?” he said.

Canumay also said the campaign isn’t economical for students.

“Students may experience a raise in price for some products that use plastic straws such as ice cappuccinos and Booster Juice,” he said.

“This is because the companies will have to find an alternative that will most likely cost more money.”

With files from Rachel Morgan

Photo by Lauren Hicks