Photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

The faces of prominent Carleton alumni are looming large around campus as part of a new public awareness campaign launched Oct. 15.

Director of university communications Don Cumming said the banners, along with a redesigned Carleton website, are part of the first phase of the “Distinctly Carleton” campaign.

“There will be future phases as we go forward to 2017 when we will be celebrating our 75th anniversary in that year,” he said. “So this is just the beginning of a longer-term project.”

The banners feature CBC foreign correspondent Nahlah Ayed, Giller Prize-winning author Lynn Coady, international designer Karim Rashid, physicist Lawrence Krauss, basketball player Philip Scrubb, Canada Research Chair Winnie Ye, Fulbright scholar Amanda Pappin, and philanthropists Mary and Wes Nichol among others, according to the website.

“We’re trying to showcase people who are very accomplished in their different fields of endeavour, and in some cases for people who’ve won awards or scholarships or prestigious medals,” Cumming said.

“The banners that you see up right now, they’re probably going to be up for about a year, and then we’ll take a look at refreshing those and hopefully do that at least one more time before 2017.”

Carleton’s 75th anniversary will also correspond with Canada’s 150th anniversary. Cumming said the university plans to involve itself in those festivities as well.

“That’s a really special time, because [those] two coincide, and of course they’re happening in the nation’s capital,” Cumming said.

“So the other part of this campaign is the planning work that we’re going to be doing around the anniversary.”

—files from Nichole Ekkert-Vine