Gov. Gen. David Johnston spoke at the launch, emphasizing the importance of a philanthropic network. (Photo by Heather Crooks)

Carleton’s School of Public Policy and Administration launched a new graduate program focusing on philanthropy Aug. 22.

The program, “Philanthropy and Nonprofit Leadership,” has been in the works for more than two years, and was created to address Canada’s lack of such a program, Gov. Gen. David Johnston said during his speech at the program’s launch.

The six-credit master’s program is designed for older business professionals and recent graduates aiming to start their careers in philanthropy, or for those who already work in the sector seeking to upgrade their knowledge, according to the program’s website.

Johnston’s speech emphasized the importance of creating and maintaining a professional network that will aid philanthropists and non-profit professionals in their work.

“One plus one can equal three or four or five,” he said.

The event also featured speeches by Susan Phillips, director of the School of Public Policy and Administration, and Carleton president Roseann Runte.

Their addresses were followed by a panel discussion of the changing future of philanthropy and the changing needs of the charitable sector.

The event was attended by the first 31 students to attend the inaugural session of the program this summer.

Gonzalo Duarte, one of the students, said that the program is unique because it offers exposure to innovation, and allows students to become better informed of the practice of philanthropy.

He said this will allow the graduates to better advocate for those without power.

Another student, Jennifer Mackay, said her classmates’ diverse background makes the program unique.

“It’s a little window into a whole bunch of different pacts of the sector that we’re not used to,” she said.