The kayakers set out one by one while members of the club at either end of the race recorded their times. (Photo courtesy of Murray McComb)

Brightly colored kayaks dotted the Rideau River between Hog’s Back and Carleton University March 30 during the Carleton University Kayak Club’s first annual Rideau River Race.

Eleven white-water kayakers competed in the race that started just below Hog’s Back Falls and finished at the Carleton University O-Train bridge, a distance of approximately 1.5 km.

“The race involved two rapids and a set of big, clear waves,” said Alberto Martel, director of operations for the club.

The kayakers set out one by one while members of the club at either end of the race recorded their times. Most of the times fell within the five to six-and-a-half minute mark.

Meagan Potter won the race for the women and Brian Pettinger had the best time among the men. They both split a $50 cash prize that was collected from the race registration fees and each took away some kayak club apparel.

“Right now the idea of the fee was incentive to get more people out,” Martel said.

Martel said the club hoped that the chance at a cash prize would increase interest in the event.

Upon arrival, each racer contributed five dollars, signed a waiver, and prepared their gear before taking a shuttle to Hog’s Back to begin the race. Racers were not limited to Carleton students and included members of the Ottawa kayaking community as well.

Although the club waited until the ice had cleared off the river, they had to wait longer for approval from Carleton Risk Management and only got approved just over a week before the event.

“Kayakers are very safety-conscious,” said Sonya Haskell, a participant in the race. “We did have Carleton University Kayak Club members with ropes ready . . . it was overkill by all means. This is a safe river, but they did provide it.”

The safety features did not go unnoticed by the kayakers. First-place winner Potter just wanted to get back in her boat, but with safety around.

“It’s scary the first time in your boat of the season with high water,” she said.

Keeping warm is also a concern at this time of year for the kayakers, when the water is still very cold and the occasional chunk of ice can still be seen floating with the current.

Despite the high water, the levels and river conditions were not right for the freestyle showoff that was supposed to take place after the event. However, Martel said he was still happy with the turnout, especially considering the timing of the event.

“It was a tricky weekend with Easter,” he said. “We had a lot of fun, it was a great learning experience and it came out better than we expected.”